SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Need some help
Still deciding if I should order Climate with the heated windshield or the HUD.
Climate with HUD is about $1000 more expensive (Canadian dollars...) and loses the heated windshield. I'm a bit afraid of the wires of the windshield, since in a few other cars they give drivers issues with other incoming cars or sun.

I don't really need the HUD though, but I'm afraid of potential glare issues with the heated windshield. Sure, it would be helpful about 10 days per year, but if I get glare the other 355 days, I would rather take the HUD...

Any owner can chime in ?

·
Registered
2021 XC90 T6 Inscription Birch Lt. with 21s
24 Posts
I know your concern. The glare really bothered me at first, especially at night. After 2 weeks, I think I'm getting used to it. But, as you said, for how many times you will use the heated windshield vs the glare all year. Now, the dealer did tell me that you will really love how fast the windshield clears - even fog and condensation wipe out instantly he tells me. I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet. Time will tell, but as of right now I wish it came with HUD instead. If I change my mind as winter sets in I'll reply again. Oh, the other thing I thought of after I had the car home was the cost to replace the windshield is probably astronomical. I have had to replace 2 windshields on other cars just from stone chips that spread into cracks from edge to edge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We were concerned about the wires but it is generally a non issue. When off, you should not notice the wires as you are looking beyond them (think depth of field RE photography). No glare issues at all. When on, there is some haze but the time that the heat needs to be on is minimal and it really does clear the windshield significantly quicker. All of this said, I've not driven one with the HUD so I cannot compare but i would not let the heated windshield throw you off. Go check one out if you can, day and night, on and off and you'll see what I mean. Climate was our 3rd package pick and we didn't really care either way but it came with the car so it's what we got.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I didn't notice the wires until my wife pointed it out. Now I see them once and a while, but it doesn't bother me. My focus is on the road in the distance and that has the effect of hiding the wires.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Hi guys

Need some help
Still deciding if I should order Climate with the heated windshield or the HUD.
Climate with HUD is about $1000 more expensive (Canadian dollars...) and loses the heated windshield. I'm a bit afraid of the wires of the windshield, since in a few other cars they give drivers issues with other incoming cars or sun.

I don't really need the HUD though, but I'm afraid of potential glare issues with the heated windshield. Sure, it would be helpful about 10 days per year, but if I get glare the other 355 days, I would rather take the HUD...

Any owner can chime in ?
I have yet to receive my car. However, I initially ordered Climate without HUD. After thinking it through, I have lived in MN for 30 years and never had a heated windshield. Of course, I never had a HUD for that matter. After considering the pros and cons, I opted for HUD which I can enjoy at 300 days a year. Purely subjective.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been trying to decide on the Climate package myself. I really want the heated rear seats and heated steering wheel. The heated windshield would be nice a few times a year here in Colorado. but I like to put my cellphone on the dash for better reception and the wires in the heated windshield are close enough together that they will significantly attenuate the radio signals to the phone. I thought about the HUD, but it *is* a lot of money (US$900 in the U.S.), so I'll wait to get it my next car.
I asked the dealer if we could just delete the special windshield from the Climate Package and the answer was: NO.

But, you can order just the heated rear seats a la carte (US$500) if you take the car through Overseas Delivery. Unfortunately, the heated steering wheel can't be purchased a la carte, so that'll have to wait for my next car, too :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've heard you can request windshield replacement with unheated after delivery based on safety concerns... no idea if that is valid or not but i told my wife that we could try that if needed. She said she'd be pissed off if we paid the extra money for it only to have it removed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel the same. I have some concern about the heated windshield since I can see wires in it but heated wheel is a big plus. Today we finally feel the wrath of winter in the northeast and I even wish I could have the heated wheel on my current car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Anyone who is considering ordering a car with the heated windshield should definitely test drive a car with one first. The heating elements are clearly visible during the day, and they are even more distracting at night when they create these weird shimmering halos around lights. That being said, you quickly get used to it. When I first got the car, I found it very odd and distracting, but now it doesn't really bother me at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We've had our Inscription for over a month and the heated windscreen is a non issue! You really don't notice them, I had to point it out to my wife before she noticed them!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a note: I checked the costs to replace the standard, heated and HUD windshields at Safelite Auto Glass and all three were the same: $1078.95, installed (in Denver).
This is just a data point--they might be cheaper at the dealer or somewhere else.
I was interested because Colorado can be hard on windshields if you drive the Interstate in the winter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
After 11,000 miles with the heated windshield I have never noticed any issues with either sun or night lights.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
After being out in West Texas during Winter Storm Goliath - I wouldn't trade my Heated Windshield for a HUD for $5,000.
A layer of ice, then 8" of snow on the windshield. 15 minutes of remote start and I simply just brushed the snow/ice/slush mixture right off in about 30 seconds.

If you use your Nav system 3-4 times a week, the HUD may be worth it. But if you have any chance of snow/ice on a semi-regular basis, the heated windshield is a killer feature.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I never had either (heated windscreen or HUD) - and since they are mutually exclusive ... I opted for the HUD, and am very pleased with it.

I'm pretty light sensitive but have found no problems with adjusting the HUD brightness for a level that works even on pitch black dark roads with no lights at all - not glaring.

I wonder if it would be possible to build a windshield that has both the heater functionality and HUD support: by not putting the heating element filaments in the area of the HUD reflection zone.

I guess in other words I took the old fashioned approach of starting the car and letting it run whilst I clean the ice and snow off of it ...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Only notice the lines occasionally now. Totally used to it. I DON'T notice it at night at all, which is contrary to some here. I only notice very subtle lines with the sun is at low angles (AM commute primarily). Love this for New England winter, and love that I can preset it to turn on automatically with start-up in the Sensus settings.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Only notice the lines occasionally now. Totally used to it. I DON'T notice it at night at all, which is contrary to some here. I only notice very subtle lines with the sun is at low angles (AM commute primarily). Love this for New England winter, and love that I can preset it to turn on automatically with start-up in the Sensus settings.
I don't understand why some people can't see the weird sparkles caused by the heating elements at night. To me, they are glaringly obvious.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't understand why some people can't see the weird sparkles caused by the heating elements at night. To me, they are glaringly obvious.
I'm probably just used to it. The more you see the same thing, the more it is forced to the background. So maybe it is there and I just shove it to the back. Thanks a lot, now I am going to be super annoyed when I drive home tonight and see all kinds of sparkles coming at me. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I cancelled my heated wind-shield hours before last change date after my wife and I test drove a vehicle with it. I disliked the HUD also. I wanted the heated rear seats but had to drop them. The dealer was also unable to tell me if the remote app allowed remote starting of the heated wind-shield and could not tell me how it is powered on a T8 (I was told T8's have an electric heater powered from the grid when plugged in for pre-heating). Does any one with a T8 have specific info ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Maybe you and others who don't like it have eagle eye vision. I don't and LOVE the heated windshield. While maybe 1% of the time I can see the lines, no big deal to ME.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe you and others who don't like it have eagle eye vision. I don't and LOVE the heated windshield. While maybe 1% of the time I can see the lines, no big deal to ME.
I have 20/10 and it doesn't bother me at all. I think it is personal preference really but wouldnt surprise me if individual vision is a factor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts