SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have ordered with the winter pack in the UK. This adds heated windscreen which is great for the frosty mornings. However, loads of negative comments on here about the wavey lines.

Question is are these bearable and worth it for the convenience of an instantly clear screen? What are the real world pros and cons??

·
Registered
917 Posts
So, I have ordered with the winter pack in the UK. This adds heated windscreen which is great for the frosty mornings. However, loads of negative comments on here about the wavey lines.

Question is are these bearable and worth it for the convenience of an instantly clear screen? What are the real world pros and cons??
It comes down to personal preference in my book. Some folks can't live with the lines, other folks don't even notice them. Suggest you test drive one at night in the rain and make your own decision.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live in Suffolk right now, and being in the UK, it never gets that cold for that long I think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in UK (Herts) and they are useful in the morning when I quickly jump to cold car and drop children to school. However thinking about upgrade to T8 and thinking to upgrade to OSD.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm in the UK did order the winter package with the heated windscreen but then thought I'd find the HUD more useful so changed the spec. Have to say that the HUD is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
...they are useful in the morning...
Probably an oft-overlooked use of the wires: Spring & Fall mornings where the air temp is close to the dewpoint, and the windscreen fogs up as fast as the wipers can clear it away. 30 seconds with the wires, or up to 30 minutes on defrost...

As for the wires themselves, if you tend to fixate on things that are on the windscreen (very small nicks/scratches, bird dirt, etc) then take a pass. They will drive you insane.
After two years with mine, I don't even notice the funny diffraction pattern around oncoming traffic's headlights anymore. Low-sun and rain have never been an issue for me, either.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Some folks can't live with the lines, other folks don't even notice them. Suggest you test drive one at night in the rain and make your own decision.
yes I agree.

While I have a plain 2014 S60 with the heated windshield it's 100% worth it as my car doesn't see the inside of a garage, ever. To all the complainers "if you're LOOKING at the lines, you'll SEE the lines". My $.02.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We cancelled the climate package (heated steering wheel, windshield, nozzles, 2nd row outboard seats) after seeing it in person. Our dealer let us take a new Volvo (non-XC90) home to test the effect on traffic lights, oncoming headlights, etc at night. The "halo effect" around such lights was more of a driving force to cancel the heated windshield than the appearance of the wavy lines during the day. I really hoped Volvo would offer a heated steering wheel alone as a factory-installed option since that's the only part of the climate package we actually wanted. (garaged at home and at work, car seats in 2nd row outboard positions). My dealer has no information yet what the parts/labor cost would be to install a heated steering wheel now.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It comes down to personal preference in my book. Some folks can't live with the lines, other folks don't even notice them. Suggest you test drive one at night in the rain and make your own decision.
I agree... I have it in my current XC60 and I can see them when I look for them, but otherwise they don't bother me or obstruct my view...

Does anyone know how the heated windshield affects an ezpass windshield transponder? Do you need a license plate one?
Yes, I have both EzPass and Sunpass and haven't had any issues with either...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree that this is all a matter of preference. I got it on my "old" XC90... a few days of driving and I really didn't notice it's there. I've driven the car for 13hrs straight (minus the bathroom breaks of course) in daylight and total darkness and I have to tell you it didn't bother me at all. It's like going to the theater and watching with 3D glasses on... some like it, others don't. We did a new order and I was thinking of adding HUD but I remember when I tried the car with that option it made me realize that it's like the wavy lines on my windshield, I didn't notice them (the HUD) anymore. So I weighed the pros and cons with just the functionality in mind (take note I live in Chicago and don't have an indoor parking) made me think that having a heated windshield outweighs the cons. I promise you no one will notice it unless you tell them or they know that XC90 can be fitted with that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can't you just order the HUD so you get the climate package without the heated windshield/wavy lines? I wondered whether I'd actually like the HUD, but I really do. Worth getting and takes the windshield out of the equation.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Anyone else have any experience using a windshield mounted ezpass tag? Does it work?
EZpass does not work in any of the LR/RR vehicles I own(ed). External mount or hand out of the sunroof is the only way to get it to read the pass.
I was searching this forum this morning to see if this vehicle is affected by the same issue because of the heated windshield and I was hoping it had a special area that did not have any heating elements obstructing the RF signal. Ideally I would like both.Is it still not possible to get the HUD and heated windshield?

·
Registered
218 Posts
We went back and forth on the windshield. Ordered, then after seeing it, cancelled the feature. However, after driving a loaner (while waiting for our car) we found that that the lines were not an issue for my wife or me. In fact, we added the feature back in. Once you use it on a cold morning you will see the value.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
EZpass does not work in any of the LR/RR vehicles I own(ed). External mount or hand out of the sunroof is the only way to get it to read the pass.
I was searching this forum this morning to see if this vehicle is affected by the same issue because of the heated windshield and I was hoping it had a special area that did not have any heating elements obstructing the RF signal. Ideally I would like both.Is it still not possible to get the HUD and heated windshield?
It is not possible to get both heated windshield and HUD. Interestingly, I didn't see the heated windshield option on the MY18 OSD price list. I may have missed it though with how they rearranged the packages.

I got a license-plate mounted toll meter since it was not working reliably for me and, frankly, I prefer keeping the windshield free of attachments.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hated mine the first day. Even thought about calling the dealer and asking if there was a way to replace it with a regular windshield. Then couple of days by and I realized that I totally forgot about the lines and how awesome it is here in the northeast to have it. I think I'm completely used to it now and wouldn't want it any other way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts