SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retrofitted the factory heated steering wheel in my 2016 xc90. Requires disconnection of battery, removal of airbag, steering wheel, clock spring and replacement with new clock spring, and steering wheel. The clock spring is the part that contains the ribbon cable connecting all steering wheel electronics to car. I had to get it programmed at dealer which was done at the same time I got pa2 cruise updated. Everything works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm gonna be doing this at the dealership soon. Good to know someone had success with it. Out of curiosity, what did you do with you old wheel?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I retrofitted the factory heated steering wheel in my 2016 xc90. Requires disconnection of battery, removal of airbag, steering wheel, clock spring and replacement with new clock spring, and steering wheel. The clock spring is the part that contains the ribbon cable connecting all steering wheel electronics to car. I had to get it programmed at dealer which was done at the same time I got pa2 cruise updated. Everything works great!

Why?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's great news!!

Heated steering wheel was on the "must have list" for us but massaging seats was just on the "nice to have list". If we still have the car in a couple of years I'd love to buy a couple of massaging seats from a wrecked XC90 and mount them!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
That's great news!!

Heated steering wheel was on the "must have list" for us but massaging seats was just on the "nice to have list". If we still have the car in a couple of years I'd love to buy a couple of massaging seats from a wrecked XC90 and mount them!

Just saying that I don't know that I'd want seats from any wrecked vehicle. I believe that there are structural elements in those seats that could have failed thus reducing safety. Maybe there's a way to get the massaging assemblies pulled and installed in a non-massaging seat, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just saying that I don't know that I'd want seats from any wrecked vehicle. I believe that there are structural elements in those seats that could have failed thus reducing safety. Maybe there's a way to get the massaging assemblies pulled and installed in a non-massaging seat, but I don't know for sure.
They can be "wrecked" for many reasons. Collision is just one.

As an example Volvo "wrecks" a lot of brand new vehicles that didn't meet their requirements.

Check out bildelsbasen.se It's a national database of parts from wrecked cars in Sweden.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My only concern with retrofitting is that things are never the same after you take them apart and put them back together. Rattles etc.

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Really? $600 total from start to finish? I'm doing that immediately! or at least before it gets cold! The heated steeringwheel was soo awesome in the car I did an extended test-drive in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They gave it back to me. I have no use for it.
I suggest that you put a note out there somewhere indicating you have a "like new" steering wheel. Someone will buy it when their original one by chance gets damaged.

I did this with a steering wheel on my 2010 Jetta when I added a new steering wheel with paddle shifters. It took a couple months but someone eventually contacted me and I sold it for a hundred bucks or so.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So this actually has me wondering- can the R-design steering wheel with its paddle shifters be retrofitted too? And is that available heated?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't think the R design wheel can be heated I was looking at the accessory site and it specifically said that heat is not available with that wheel.

Does anyone know if the different steering wheels are all the same thickness.? I had a loaner s60 with the older style wheel that was a bit thicker, and all jokes aside, the thicker one felt better in my hand.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't think the R design wheel can be heated I was looking at the accessory site and it specifically said that heat is not available with that wheel.

Does anyone know if the different steering wheels are all the same thickness.? I had a loaner s60 with the older style wheel that was a bit thicker, and all jokes aside, the thicker one felt better in my hand.
in Europe yes, and there is also one xc90 owner in Canada get the heated R-design steer wheel, but i guess that is just luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts