SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was freakin' hot here today in the Boston area -- and the first time my MY12 XC60 T6 was used in very hot, muggy weather.

And today, the car also had some electronic glitches. I have the right side-view mirror set to tilt when backing up. It tilted OK, but didn't return to its normal position. And the radio went nuts, refusing to receive some -- but not all -- stations in HD.

Does anyone else have temperature-related issues with their car's electronics?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I live in Cambridge. No such issues, today or last summer.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Same here in RI, everything working as normal.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No problems in 96F weather in Kansas City.

·
Registered
332 Posts
it did happen to me once about a week ago when we 1st signed up to Sirius radio.... it wouldn't let is change the station... I wonder if it's bc in my garage and I don't get good reception... the tilting mirror is a bit slow as well in my opinion... when from R to D, it took a good 10 seconds after I was already driving. the rear camera also blacked out when I was in reverse, I suspect I was switching between D and R too quickly....

nevertheless these issues only had happened once before and never came back...

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only thing that happened to mine was the radio station was stuck on a preset. I couldn't get any of the others to work until I toggled the scroll wheel then everything was fine.

One other thing I have been impressed with and I'm not sure if it's because I am used to my little 4-cylinder Subaru but even with the A/C on, I find no loss of power at all, and the gas mileage doesn't drop either. I drove about 80 miles with the A/C on and the mileage counter remained a steady 23.6mpg. I'm in MetroWest, MA.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hope to get a fairly early start in the AM for a 600 mile drive to Mississippi. We're adding about 50 miles to stay on the Interstate(fingers crossed) so I can cruise @ 70-75mph for most of the trip. This should give a good reading on our highway mileage as we enter our 4th year of operation(53K miles). I've never been able to get over the 22mpg mark on most trips, A/C used or not. It will most certainly be used on this trip as Austin is headed for a 100 degree weekend and central Mississippi will be in the 90s with 1000% humidity! :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
in driving back from des moines, I got 23.2 mpg. I was impressed that it would get 2mpg better than EPA ratings. Elevations are similar, but there was little elevation change.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is scary...got ~24mpg on the nearly 600 miles of highway driving today...mid to upper 90s temp-wise. I've never seen this sort of mileage from this vehicle, especially running 70-80mph for 500+ miles. Chevron 87octane...syn blend oil @ 52.5K check-up...first long trip with the GoodYear Assurance ComfotTreds(love the quiet compared to the Scorpion A/T !!!) I guess our XC likes the heat!

By the bye, we passed or saw at least two dozen disabled vehicles along the highway...at least half with blown tires. Actually got nicked by an exploding tire from a trailer...no real damage as I managed to avoid the largest pieces as they flew into our lane @ 75mph! Drove around what appeared to be about 80% of a tractor trailer tire lying in the middle of 'our' lane. Let's be careful out there. ;)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
This is scary...got ~24mpg on the nearly 600 miles of highway driving today...mid to upper 90s temp-wise. I've never seen this sort of mileage from this vehicle, especially running 70-80mph for 500+ miles. Chevron 87octane...syn blend oil @ 52.5K check-up...first long trip with the GoodYear Assurance ComfotTreds(love the quiet compared to the Scorpion A/T !!!) I guess our XC likes the heat!

By the bye, we passed or saw at least two dozen disabled vehicles along the highway...at least half with blown tires. Actually got nicked by an exploding tire from a trailer...no real damage as I managed to avoid the largest pieces as they flew into our lane @ 75mph! Drove around what appeared to be about 80% of a tractor trailer tire lying in the middle of 'our' lane. Let's be careful out there. ;)
Hey Coachrick, I'm glad all's OK! We had a similar situation with a tractor's partial tire that flew into our lane while traveling 70-75 mph down I-95 in Georgia... We round tripped it from VA to FL last November (around 2000 miles) and averaged 21.3... But nothing strange here in VA with the temps in the high 80s to 90s the last few weeks...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks serg...we drove into the afternoon sun today after starting around 10AM. By noon, it was 100 degrees and we arrived in Austin welcomed by 107 degree temps. The XC ran well...avg of better than 23 mpg for the 1200 mile trip that included ~50 miles of in-town driving. Can't complain ;) . Couldn't complain about the petrol prices in Mississippi, either. Actually saw one price of $2.99/gal Been a while since that was the going rate!

Plenty more torn up truck/auto tires on the road today. 'Only' about a dozen disabled vehicles spotted today but half of those had people sitting in the sun MILES away from the nearest exit/business. Saw three different instances of folks walking a LONG way with gas cans in their hands!!! I REALLY don't think I'd try to drive 15-20 miles between exits with a vehicle running on fumes! I've been broke before, but the gas ain't gonna be any cheaper after you walk 10 miles to the nearest station.!!!

We're well over 100 degrees for the week...that North Carolina mountain house is lookin' pretty good about now!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
We woke up to temps in the 60s this morning, but will go up to 70s and 80s before returning to the 90s this weekend, or so they say... So, not to bad in Northern VA today... Not bad on the gas, but here it's hovering around 3.20s and at 3.19 for Regular "Cash"

·
Registered
112 Posts
It was freakin' hot here today in the Boston area...

...Does anyone else have temperature-related issues with their car's electronics?
Here in Arizona it's probably a bit warmer, a bit more often, than Boston (around 110 today, I felt it when I walked to lunch). I haven't had any identifiable heat-related problem with my early-2010 XC60 - except that the battery did fail (replaced free by dealer) earlier this year. That's a little too soon, but the climate is hard on batteries and the XC60 engine compartment runs quite hot to begin with.

It is certainly possible that you have a poor ground on a terminal block somewhere, which could act up in the heat. But the evidence says that there is no general problem with XC60 electronics in the heat.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It was freakin' hot here today in the Boston area -- and the first time my MY12 XC60 T6 was used in very hot, muggy weather.

And today, the car also had some electronic glitches. I have the right side-view mirror set to tilt when backing up. It tilted OK, but didn't return to its normal position. And the radio went nuts, refusing to receive some -- but not all -- stations in HD.

Does anyone else have temperature-related issues with their car's electronics?
No problems down here on the South Shore, but then we have far more benign weather here than you do in the city: it is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here in Arizona it's probably a bit warmer, a bit more often, than Boston (around 110 today, I felt it when I walked to lunch). I haven't had any identifiable heat-related problem with my early-2010 XC60 - except that the battery did fail (replaced free by dealer) earlier this year. That's a little too soon, but the climate is hard on batteries and the XC60 engine compartment runs quite hot to begin with.

It is certainly possible that you have a poor ground on a terminal block somewhere, which could act up in the heat. But the evidence says that there is no general problem with XC60 electronics in the heat.
You get that famous "dry heat," no? :)

I think you're right -- the gremlins I continue to see don't seem to be heat related.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts