SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

After 25 years, had my first collision. Had to be in my most fun car too. I just dropped my daughter off at school and was on my way to work when a lady ran a red in a minivan. I think she was watching her GPS as she said she was trying to find her way to a meeting and was distracted. She admitted fault and the cops ticketed her, so legally I'm looking okay for now.

I have to clear out my garage and then I'll start tearing it down to see if it's repairable, but I'm doubting it, it's smeared sideways pretty good. And my airbag went off, which means all my seatbelts fired too.

I'm a little sore but I think I'm alright, although I bent the brake pedal I was shoving it so hard. I'm kind of a big guy so I put a lot of force on it when I hit.

So all that's left is for my fellow Volvo fans to help me mourn the loss of a great car.

·
Registered
16,901 Posts
:(

If you really want to fix it , its going to require of fixing the bottom frame rail the rest should be bolt on bolt off items.

I would find a front clip car to use to do that .

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Omg, that suuucks. Sorry man. :(

How much did you want for the pegs, and the upper strut brace?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Wow :( This makes me very sad! I was in love with your car! I am looking to buy a C70 right now to fix up and was pretty inspired by your car! Don't tempt me with your manual swap... :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Heart sick. As soon as I saw the photos I just burst out, "ohhhhhhhhhh man does THAT suck!" Scares me every time I take the coupe out for a drive wondering whether I'll bring it back in one piece.

Is the culprit the lady standing over by the traffic boxes talking on her phone?

·
Registered
113 Posts
So Sorry to hear that and to see it to that suck I hope she has Ins. here in NH. its not mandatory by law I wish it was are rates are high to pay for the people who don't again sorry and good luck

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
First off, I am SO sorry. I LIKE ragtop C70s.

Having said that, there seems to be a run on C70s meeting their maker, so to speak. I was at my Volvo dealer today and there was one with a locked up motor. Was run low on oil. Did NOT look like it had been well maintained, so it doesn't suprise me.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words guys, yeah the lady had insurance so they already called and said they'll pay out. My insurance is going to take care of me and then go after them later, so it's all good there.

I have to get the S70 parts car out of my garage, then I'll get this in there and take the front sheetmetal off to see what's what. If things are too bent up I might part it out, but I also might just go buy another one and save all the spare parts too. Too early to tell. I searched autotrader and there were only a few cars with as low mileage as mine, and only 4 manual transmissions total. But nice to know there are a few out there. One I almost think I should buy right now, 50,000 miles, manual, and black on tan. I'd just swap the graphite parts over and have the perfect black on black vert to go with my black on black wagon.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It gave its life for you, Volvo for life.

Now to look for the black with lava manual 04 :) I would expect the insurance company to want and pick up the c70 asap when they settle on a total loss.

I would expect that to cost more than 80% of the book value of the car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. It was a beautiful car. Sorry to see it that way.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm super disappointed now because there was just on my local craigslist an 04 silver/black MANUAL with only 31,000 miles on it! They sold it like 3 weeks ago! Gah!

Whatever happens with the insurance I'm buying the car back from them to either part out or rebuild. It has too many good parts on it, and any of the parts that I put on only have 24k on them.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Buy the black one... I know you will build an awesome Vert out of your two cars!!!

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Omg, that suuucks. Sorry man. :(

How much did you want for the pegs, and the upper strut brace?
NOT cool

Sorry about your car

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for stickin up for me Jim, but I wasn't offended so it's all good.

Adjuster came by, she said "well I haven't even started writing it up but it's over $10k in my head to repair". So totalled for sure. I got the hood open, all 4 front rails are bent hard and shoved over to the left, and there's no gap between the radiator and intake manifold. And the ecu box is jammed against the power steering, and the serpentine belt is off its track. NADA and KBB surprisingly agree that the value is $12,500, I'll have to see if I can get any pull for the custom parts I have on it, as well as fight them tooth and nail to not ding it for having a salvage title, considering I repaired like new every single damaged piece on the thing when I got it.

Here's an underhood pic:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Such a beautiful car! I hope you have an easy time with the insurance people, and I really hope you end up in another vo!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bummer! Sad to see such a nice car with low miles end up like that.
Glad you are ok and your daughter wasn't with you.

If you ever decide to part it out I want your window regulator.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts