SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok we all have the typical MP3 and ipod issue... so i'm thinking of scrapping my unit.<p>questions:-<p>1. once the unit is out, is it double din would you say?<br>2. whats the cabling like at the back?<br>3. apart from the temperature control indicator, would i lose anything else? Obviously signs for heated seats is no probs as its lit on the buttons, the mister and what not also have lights. the volume and audio menu would be on the new unit so ok... and only the car menus such as alarm light and homesafe would be gone.<br>am i right?<p>and is it even possible? I know Heico's demo car had it done?<br>After my astra had a pioneer avic x1, the tomtom just doesnt cut it and with the ipod and mp3 missing... its a rough drive.<p>so i'm thinking of: <A HREF="http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12205&taxonomy_id=10-20" TARGET="_blank">http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur...10-20</A><p>touch-screen in-dash with mp3/wma/dvd and obviously with the ib-100 you can connect the ipod too.<p>Whats your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Headunit (Akash)

It's not possible AFAIK, the whole system integration is so tight that you're bound to lose several functions as a result of hacking into the most network.<p>The only hardwired option at the moment is the cleansweep I think, to get the ipod signal in after the OEM amp, but that requires another amp to drive the speakers after that - and it's still not controlled through the steering wheel etc.<p>Rich

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marmoset, you're supposed to give me good news... just lie about it! :><p>ah well worth a try i guess, i wanted inbuilt sat nav with the extras but it just wont happen i guess.<br>maybe time to upgrade to the s60

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a great idea if you can get it to work!!! It does look a "little" complicated though!!!<br>Good luck with whatever you decide to do

·
Registered
536 Posts
Would be cool if it worked...somehow I doubt it.<br>Why would you need a postal code look up while driving tho?

·
Registered
223 Posts
From what I can understand, You could keep the screen and just power off the radio. I would take the CD player out only and put a single din headunit. I think you would have to run new speaker wires and also get new speakers. This would not be able to control through the steering wheel, but who cares u would have a remote. If you didnt pay for premium audio it would be worth it.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: Headunit (Akash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Akash</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok we all have the typical MP3 and ipod issue... so i'm thinking of scrapping my unit.<p>questions:-<p>1. once the unit is out, is it double din would you say?<br>2. whats the cabling like at the back?<br>3. apart from the temperature control indicator, would i lose anything else? Obviously signs for heated seats is no probs as its lit on the buttons, the mister and what not also have lights. the volume and audio menu would be on the new unit so ok... and only the car menus such as alarm light and homesafe would be gone.<br>am i right?<p>and is it even possible? I know Heico's demo car had it done?<br>After my astra had a pioneer avic x1, the tomtom just doesnt cut it and with the ipod and mp3 missing... its a rough drive.<p>so i'm thinking of: <A HREF="http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12205&taxonomy_id=10-20" TARGET="_blank">http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur...10-20</A><p>touch-screen in-dash with mp3/wma/dvd and obviously with the ib-100 you can connect the ipod too.<p>Whats your thoughts on it?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It's not really a head unit at all... double din or single din. The audio system is a combination of the Infotainment Control Module (the display and the buttons/dials), the Media Player Module (CD player), the audio module (???) and a couple of buses (MOST and the low speed bus) connecting everything together.<p>So not as easy as you might think!<p>Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts