SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

it’s about time for me to replace the fabric of my V50 headliner since it started to sag quiet badly.

I enjoy DIY work and I already removed the headliner once, so I want to tackle that task myself and found a bunch of different fabrics that could be used.

I’d like to hear if anyone can give me a tip on which color would go neatly with the rest of the interior?

Obviously it should fit in with the trim parts so I don’t want to order something that might be too dark or too light and therefore stick out.

If anyone has some color code or something I’d highly appreciate it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I went for generic black (the sort of foam-backed headliner fabric you can find on ebay for $20/yard), and I'm pleased with the contrast with gray trim like the grab handles and sunroof trim and visors.

Grey Wood Flooring Tints and shades Font

Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Reactions: bc303

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I don't know if this place ships internationally but I used the titanium and it is a pretty good match for the factory fabric.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
684 Posts
I also used the "Titanium" headliner from yourautotrim.com . The color was close but It wasn't a 100% match to my factory fabric. But I'm not complaining. If I have to do it again, I would order the sample catalog first and then choose the closest color. But that's being extremely picky.

Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Grey Auto part

Product Bag Gas Auto part Sleeve

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
Personally I'd recommend elastic versions of alcantara. Not really original but looks classy. My wife's Audi RS6 has alcantara headliner and I fell in love with how it looks when I first saw it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions!

At first I was also planning to replace it with black but I’m not a big fan how it looks with the grey plastic parts.

For me it’s important to match the color as closely as possible. I’m gonna try to contact a supplier to get some samples.

I might come back here to get some advice on how to get the fabric on there. The result from Facusan looks very good for a DIY Job, hope I will achieve a similar quality :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Facusan, good job. What are the procédures to fit new fabric? glue type?

Thanks!
Pull the old fabric, scrub the old foam & glue with a hard plastic brush. Once is clean, place the new fabric on top of the headliner and get some practice on the difficult areas. Once you got it, use 3M high strength 90 to glue the fabric (without pressing it too hard with your hand, otherwise the backing foam will get squished) starting from the flat areas (I started from the sunvisors towards the back). There will be some areas where you’ll have to stretch the fabric like the Oh Sh*t! Handles. Once you have all the fabric glued, make sure to fold it around the edges, and cut the excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
without pressing it too hard with your hand, otherwise the backing foam will get squished
Might be a good idea to get a foam paint roller (sorry don’t know the exact english term) to evenly put pressure when applying the glue?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Might be a good idea to get a foam paint roller (sorry don’t know the exact english term) to evenly put pressure when applying the glue?

If you use the glue I mentioned, there’s no need. It comes in a spray can and the nozzle distributes the glue evenly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean to push down the fabric onto the glue :D
Should have mentioned that maybe

·
Registered
684 Posts
I mean to push down the fabric onto the glue :D
Should have mentioned that maybe

Oh! My bad. Yes, that’s a good idea.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I made the mistake of pressing it too much and left some marks on the fabric.

Also is worth to mention this glue leaves you very small chances to correct the fabric. Once it touches the foam it grabs real good.

It is advisable to go with small sections at a time.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I also used the "Titanium" headliner from yourautotrim.com . The color was close but It wasn't a 100% match to my factory fabric. But I'm not complaining. If I have to do it again, I would order the sample catalog first and then choose the closest color. But that's being extremely picky.
I actually have the sample swatches. From that source the Titanium is the best match though not perfect. The Lt Grey is also close but not quite. I've been meaning to do my A-pillar covers to match the ceiling but it hasn't really bothered me.

I've done two V50 roofs. The first time I used Permatex headliner adhesive. The second I used 3M. I think the 3M is a bit more forgiving by giving a little more work time. Permatex, once the fabric touches it, it is stuck.

Reactions: Sh4rp and Facusan
1 - 15 of 15 Posts