SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read of a few folks with headliners falling apart. Mine finally got to the point where something had to be done. It was either replace the entire thing or try gluing. I figured I had very little to loose in trying to glue it. If It got screwed up I'd just replace it anyway.

My objective was to reattach the material without the glue saturating the material. I had some clear RTV around and figured if it did seep into the material at least it was clear. I applied the RTV to the backing board over top the foam. The RTV soaked into the foam pretty well. To reduce the chance of the RTV soaking into the material, I let the RTV set until it was just tacky before pressing the material in place. Success! If you look too closely, it is slightly lumpy from the foam backing but most would never notice.

See this thread for photos.
http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v50-20/headliner-repair-64229/#post322314

Stan

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What you need is spray adhesive! It's like contact cement in a can. You spray it on and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes, then work the fabric into the foam headliner, trying to prevent creases.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True but that looks messy to use unless you remove the headliner.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yeah it might be. I might be reupholstering my door panels and I plan on using that. I want to do a diamond stitch pattern :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
thanks guys i`ve been looking for stuff like this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts