SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been battling a rattle in the headliner right above the driver's head, if not a little forward towards the windshield and off to the right towards the sunroof. It only happens over sharp bumps, like concrete pavement seams, but it sounds like a cable or something knocking against the hard backing of the headliner.

I've tried to stuff some weather sealing foam (round foam tubing) up there through the opening at the front by the windshield and have had intermittent success with getting it to stop. It'll work for a few weeks then slowly come back, until I readjust the foam. I'm worried about damaging the headliner since I keep sticking my hands up there and pulling on it to get the foam in.

Is there a cable behind the headliner there? Would it be a bad idea to spray some of that expanding insulating foam up there to try to fix it? Like I said it's driving me insane.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
At least you can reach the spot to find the issue when driving. I suspect you have the more common sunroof rattle.

I have a very similar rattle near the rear passenger side near the c-pillar. Drives me nuts, and rattles on the same concrete seams or bumps. I can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from and I've taken apart the c-pillar panel in search for the mysterious loose part.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think I actually finally fixed it. I got fed up and went to Home Depot and picked up some felt weatherstripping and a paint mixer. I wrapped the felt over the paint mixer and pushed it as far back under the headliner as I could and then pulled the paint mixer out. Was quiet on the drive back, so fingers crossed.

My sunroof rattles as well, but I've already tightened up all screws there and it's mostly quiet unless it gets really cold, so I can live with that. It's odd how some rattles are tolerable and others just grate on your nerves.

Have you checked to make sure your rear seats are fully latched and no looseness in the latches? That happened to me once and caused a rattle. Also the child safety seat anchor plastic can rattle if not clipped down.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the rattle came back shortly after.

I'm suspicious of the plastic cover for the rain sensor now. I took that off and it seems to have stopped the rattle for now, but it has been notoriously sneaky...I'll think I've fixed it and then it comes back a few days later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have similar problem, but in the dashboard. Really sucks!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Few years ago we a had a post listing common rattles and cures. It's probably good idea to resurrect it... I have few annoying rattles in my car too. To fix them is on on my endless task list..
:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI for anyone searching, the rattle is not actually in the headliner, it just sounds like it is. The rattle is actually coming from under the front of the dashboard, where the dashboard meets the windshield. I've managed to mitigate it by shoving some foam between the two, but this looks a little silly and eventually the foam gets compressed and the sound comes back.

Anyone know what is under the front lip of the dashboard? I'm thinking it's a wire rattling. Was thinking of maybe spraying some insulating foam under there..but that seems aggressive and ghetto.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of my rattles were eliminated when I Q-matted half the car. Killed a tone of drone too.

http://www.soundqubed.com/Q-Mat_c_31.html
All out of stock. :( Maybe it's been discontinued?

Not really practical for the area of my rattle (I'd need to completely remove the dashboard to get to it) but still been interested in doing this for a while and the price looks good.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'm also gonna have to dynamat the car because my headliner rattles in the back... even more now thanks to my subwoofer... best worst purchase ever.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My mystery rattle is inside the passenger front door card. I've tried pulling the A-pillar trim, rattle. Side mirror cover, rattle. Door card, no rattle. Of course I can't find anything inside the card that could account for the noise either.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mystery rattle is inside the passenger front door card. I've tried pulling the A-pillar trim, rattle. Side mirror cover, rattle. Door card, no rattle. Of course I can't find anything inside the card that could account for the noise either.
I've found the buttons in the window controls rattle on mine. Gentle pressure on the whole panel seems to stop it. That might be your source as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts