SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another issue on my 2004 2.5T is the headliner ha separated fro the A puller sides and from the rear (cargo area). Orange foam and dust is coming down in the rear area.

How easy is it to fix? Is it possible? Any estimate on what a upholstery shop should charge?

TIA

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a similar issue. I got a quote for $400 from a shop to fix it.

I am still debating on DIY, though.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I just bought a headliner from the junk yard that I pulled myself for $18.83 including the sunroof liner. The thing was in good enough condition to use, except for some grease stains, but I stripped it anyway. I bought 3 yards of headliner material at $15 a yard locally. I'm in the process of applying the foam backed material, now, but I'm waiting for my helper (wife) to come home from a reunion to help. I foresee a lot of holding the ready-material aloft while smoothing the material into place. One wrong move, and it's glued in the wrong place, I think.
Anyway, I bought the headliner carcass because I didn't want to strip down the car and either reassemble it to drive it, or be in a hurry to apply the material. This way, I can take my time and do a better job than new.
On the take-out liner, the material that's identical to mine is in better condition overall. It came from a silver '05, and mine is the dark gray '09. Maybe the darker color caused higher interior temps and degraded the foam faster The only fault with the '05, is that the foam separated very easily from the shell in the center, like it was starting to let go in an area that wasn't glued well to begin with, but the foam itself was in good condition. The take-out from'05 was made in France. No idea about the '09. TBA
My '09 liner is letting go along the windshield edge and was made worse by using inside sun shades, but a major difference is that the '09 fabric is cut even with the shell forward edge, and the '05 was wrapped around the edge and glued well on the backside.
I'll try to get some process photos as I glue it up, but I expect some interesting maneuvers. Thinking ahead, both the headliner material and shell have to be sprayed, so the question arises about what to do with the sunroof hole and the edges? If using masking materials, it must be removed after spraying or the headliner will stick to the masking materials. It seems like there's a lot of planning and precautions to be done to keep from sticking the fabric to the wrong spot or material, as well as insuring the garage floor or work surfaces aren't permanently sticky.
I can't imagine that a price around $400 can be found, these days. Carefully removing the headliner after practicing on another XC90 the week before (ran out of time) took over two hours. There are a lot of fiddly things that must be carefully disassembled, like all the wiring for dome lights, Upper Electronics Module, rear view mirror, visor make-up mirror lights and Home whatever buttons. The grab handles and cargo/coat hook fastener covers could be easily be buggered by less-than-careful disassembly.
After I tried the first XC90 headliner at the junk yard, I checked if VIDA had a procedure for removal, and it did! I got hung up at the yard trying to remove the "B" piller covering, which is why I ran out of time, but VIDA says to leave the "B" pillars alone and pull the headliner out from above it.
The headliner is something of a marvel in design, because one thing it must do is deflect out of the way from the side impact protection curtains that blow out from behind it, yet, the thing is pretty stable.
After I'm done with the project, I had thought of offering my take-out headliner here on the forum for someone else to re-new. Ultimately, the project will cost almost $100:
$45 + tax fabric
$10 +tax per can of 1081 headliner adhesive, high temp. Maybe x3 ?
$18.83 for the take-out headliner.
If anyone in California is interested in the take-out shell, or the materials source, let me know via PM. The shell transports easily in the XC90, which I found a little surprising.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Capndirk,
Some thoughts, get the box from a bicycle or refrigerator to lay on the garage floor. For the sunroof, I think I would apply the new fabric like wallpaper. I don't know how religious you have to be with spraying the adhesive on both pieces. When it comes to the sunroof just spray it on the roof panel, not the fabric. Then continue forward. Wrap what you have to with the front, then cut an X in the sunroof and pull it around and double side glue the pieces to the back where nobody will see it. That should hold the fabric another 15 years..

I bought a used homelink for my daughter's E46. It was basically a 1/15 size version of what you did. The foam has disintegrated. The back of the panel had the markings for where the homelink hole is. I cut out the brittle plastic, cut the x in the fabric, and taped it to the back. of course the plastic tabs that it clips on to the headliner with snapped. 2 sided tape has been OK for the last year and a half, and if you look you can see the bumps in the foam from where I touched it.

Your knees are going to hurt after this job. if you have foam laying around your knees will thank you.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Tommm, thanks for the suggestions on that. The links that Ggleavett provided also links to a "How-to" that Andrew Peng wrote up for FCPEuro in 2014 , HERE
It's a good overview to technique, and, more my speed, since it's off the floor :). My theory is to follow the directions on the product from the manufacturer to ensure the highest chance of success, and all the other prep and masking stuff I pointed out to provide color and depth to the project. That's for helping focus my thought processes as well as provide food for thought to the posters that are just beginning to approach the job. As far as overspray to the garage floor, I'm hoping that just keeping the floor wet will prevent ironic noises when walking around at a later date. Since I used to do a lot of work on yachts in different disciplines, I have a great variety of masking supplies at my disposal. It would be ugly to stick the fabric to masking or back-drop materials, though. Unless one plans well, it's foreseeable that where the big sunroof hole is, that the glued fabric can stick to whatever is below that hole. The whole thing has the potential for a scene from a Laurel & Hardy or Three stooges episode. My other two hands are back in town, so we may get after it tomorrow!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had that happened to me 3 years ago and paid a professional to do it (cost is AUD500). After watching him do it, I am confident it can be DIY'D. IMO, the hardest part of the job was removing the old foam. It was remove with mostly elbow grease and a putty knife.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Since I’m not going to do the work myself and the potential cost... I think I’m going to buy a roll of duct tape and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I finished my headliner recover, and it turned out good. My wife says it's "Great", but I'm my own worst critic. The finished product is an incredible improvement, since the ****e foam they backed the fabric with in Spain is completely degraded, and the new foam/fabric really cuts down the interior noise. Funny thing is that the headliner I took out is standing up against the wall in the garage, and the next morning I found the fabric had simply fallen off the headliner and was collected on the floor! The donor headliner I got from the junk yard, had much better foam and was still in good shape, except the adhesive did not have a strong grip on the foam. Very little foam stuck to the headliner shell, with most of it simply releasing from the adhesive.
It's really not a bad job to do, but there are lessons to be learned. The first is to note how far you can lay over the edges and glue the excess to the backside. More is better. My original Spanish vendor headliner was cut to the edge with no material glued to the back, but the donor shell was rolled over and glued everywhere. That one was made by a French supplier. My original began detaching at the front edge where the slightest contact with a windshield sunshade can get the stuff coming off.
Another thing is the spray adhesive. I bought the stuff from the upholstery supplier (1081 Headliner Adhesive), and it was junk. One can sprayed in a single stream, and the next had a small fan the spread to a 2" fan at about two feet, and following instructions of spraying from 6" was worthless. I had some Loctite spray adhesive lying about, and the pattern was no better. I had used 3M spray adhesives a lot, in the past, and it's the Gold standard, but pricey. I found that Gorilla Glue spray adhesive from Home Depot at $9.95 was the best alternative. It had a really nice wide spray, the stuff landed wet enough to attach deeply into the foam and onto the shell. The other products have doubtful sub-strate penetration, Kind of landing on top.
Don't apply the glue/headliner when it's too warm out. It needs to remain liquid for a little bit of time to "Soak".
My take-out shell is in good excellent condition, but needs to have the foam residue removed. If anyone is interested, PM me and you can have it, free.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When the backing foam on mine disintegrated, I pulled the headliner out (which was a remarkable PITA), used a damp rag to rub the foam off the backer and the fabric, and glued it back with parts-store headliner adhesive. I did it in two sections, starting from the front while leaving the rear more-or-less attached, then doing the rear once the front was set. Results don't look perfect, but it doesn't droop anymore and it cost me a few hours of time and one can of adhesive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gorilla tape and those racks that screw and I’m good :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts