SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V70R has the HID headlights as standard but they don't seem that bright in the road compared to BMW and Audi lights. I've had them raised to the top level for an Mot test and it's made the reach a bit better but the output still isn't great. The glass lense is a little stone pitted but nothing major. Is there a common thing with them not being so bright?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
From what I know, my R at 86k is still on the original bulbs..wonder if a new pair will make an improvement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are likely to be the originals, about 110k miles worth of use in 12 years. They look a pain to get to to change though.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I didn't think HID bulbs dimmed over time but I guess idk. Also, yes, it's a common thing with them not being so bright. If you search the forums you will find more complaints. I think it's because the reflector is scattering light in so many directions and distributing it so evenly there just isn't enough light output for that design reflector to be effective.

Oh and they are pretty easy to change. The cover twists off the back of the headlight and they are right there. You need to twist to get the base of the bulb to come out and then the bulb is right there. If you have an IPD or Elevate AMS then the drivers side is a lot more challenging; either the headlight needs to come out or the AMS does.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Do they make projector retrofit kits for these? They aren't that hard to take apart.
I've never seen a kit but a few members here have posted threads about installing replacement reflectors and projectors in the OEM housing. It's a hard sell given the high cost of a replacement headlight if you screw it up. Much easier is to replace the foglights with competent, properly-aimed HIDs. That's cheaper and can yield a good result.

·
2,521 Posts
I put 55W HIDs in my fog lights. They overpower the headlights and shine like a normal cars high-beams, maybe better. But since the fogs are so low to the ground people don't flash me. SUVs and trucks do get an eye-full right when they pass my caR but it's too late for them to flash me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never seen a kit but a few members here have posted threads about installing replacement reflectors and projectors in the OEM housing. It's a hard sell given the high cost of a replacement headlight if you screw it up. Much easier is to replace the foglights with competent, properly-aimed HIDs. That's cheaper and can yield a good result.
Hmm, I may be taking my wife's housings apart again to retro a better projector in there. I know the housings are expensive AF, but I think that an amateur should be able to get these things apart and back together with a good DIY. With that being said, I would imagine retrofits without instructions may be beyond most folks mechanical ability... Probably a good call to replace the bulbs, and if the results are not satisfactory, retrofit your fogs with HIDs or LEDs (if the housings support them).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Simple fix is to go to non-shrouded bulbs (5000k max as light output drops above that) and aim the low-beams properly. The high-beams need something more (like a projector light conversion). I installed a Euro driving light circuit hooked up to both the DRLs and fogs, but heard from someone else who tried it recently that Volvo won't allow the software download in North America any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
About the glass ... it can be improved if you apply XPel on them. The result may vary depending on how bad they are pitted/scratch. I did this on my motorbike headlights with great results. IPD used to have them but I'm sure you can find something closer to home.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Hmm, I may be taking my wife's housings apart again to retro a better projector in there. I know the housings are expensive AF, but I think that an amateur should be able to get these things apart and back together with a good DIY. With that being said, I would imagine retrofits without instructions may be beyond most folks mechanical ability... Probably a good call to replace the bulbs, and if the results are not satisfactory, retrofit your fogs with HIDs or LEDs (if the housings support them).
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-retrofit-guide-(Everything-you-need-to-know)

TRS (the retrofit source) changed all of their links that I posted but I recommend getting them from DDM tuning now anyway. Literally half price for the projectors and you get the exact same quality product. I know because I have retrofitted a set of TRS projectors and DDM projectors, no difference. TRS charges more because they are among the most popular with retrofitters.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Projectors-D2S-PR-3in

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Projectors-D2S-V2-PR-3in

The V2 apparently just have a wider beam output

·
2,521 Posts
I like DDM. I use their bulbs and 55W ballasts. Takes a month before it arrives though...

·
Registered
536 Posts
get D2S bulbs and dremel a notch in them to fit, or get D2C and they'll fit without any modification. The glare is minimal but the output is so much better than with the stock D2R bulbs.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
get D2S bulbs and dremel a notch in them to fit, or get D2C and they'll fit without any modification. The glare is minimal but the output is so much better than with the stock D2R bulbs.
+1

Still not really as good as other HID setups, but once you go D2C/D2S you won't be able to go back.

·
Registered
434 Posts
A D1S is exactly the same as a D2S bulb internally; the only difference is that a D1S has a rectangular "glare reducer" on part of the bulb. An exacto knife or razor blade will remove that if done carefully. Maybe the biggest reason people see a performance gain is new bulbs in themselves, because HID bulbs do dim a bit over time.

If you really want better output, do a retrofit with the biggest projectors you can squash in the housings.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I've had two DDM ballasts die on me, sent them back thanks to their generous warranty. On both, they told me that they tested fine on their workbench, and I paid for return shipping back to me. On both, they sent different ballasts than when I sent in, and both worked. Also, the back and forth took 5 weeks. So yeah, DDM is good but takes forever and is a little fishy.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I would like to counter that with my experience. I installed two 55w ballasts on a friends truck fog lights. I was a bit dumb on the install and took no precautions of water proofing the spliced connections. They both failed after the first rainstorm so I'm about 99% sure my dumb install shorted them. Sent them back, DDM tested them, of course they didn't work, and they sent me two new ones. I did not pay anything because of the warranty (even though it was my fault). It did take around the same 5 weeks for the whole process though. They are slow but I had a positive experience with the warranty department. Probably all depends on the individual handling the claim. That is all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts