SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone needs any measurements or has any questions about the bi-xenon headlight assemblies, let me know. I'll have everything sealed back up in a few hours and won't be able to measure anything then.

I currently have mine completely taken apart for a lens restoration.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
What's the OD of the chrome shroud around the lens? I know the plastic see through shroud ID is just over 3" but was thinking of doing a FX-R retrofit one of these days whuch would require a completely new surround.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OD, Overall (or circular) diameter? It appears to be about 118mm. And it's actually 45mm thick.

Heads up though, my original plan was to black out the chrome surrounds of both the low beam and the turn signal, but I found that the low beam surround is actually part of the high beam reflector. Too much careful taping to really make it worth it to me. If even a spec is off I'll notice it forever, so chrome it shall stay.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'll probably have questions at a later time. One of my headlight has a lot of plastic particles from when I did my LED mod. I new what not to do for the other one but I never was able to remove the plastic dust from the first one... Did you took some pics/video of the process?

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably have questions at a later time. One of my headlight has a lot of plastic particles from when I did my LED mod. I new what not to do for the other one but I never was able to remove the plastic dust from the first one... Did you took some pics/video of the process?
I'm taking a few pictures and, from demand, I'm making a How-to video on removing and re-sealing the lens.

I just dusted off the low beam projector lens and was amazed at how much dust was in there!

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you are making videos, could you please do one for the aiming adjustment? I know how to do it, but it's just good to have it on "record". Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of them has cleaned up pretty well, but one is far from satisfactory....

I don't need an entirely new assembly. But if someone needs parts to their assembly, let me know and maybe we can buy a pair of headlights together. I'll replace my lenses and send you the rest.

·
Registered
438 Posts
do you know what kind of bulbs were in your headlights? Phillips? Osram?

*btw just used your youtube video to replace my OEM BiXenons, VERY helpful!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Height adjustment - turn the adjusting screw directly.

Left - twist counterclockwise = points down
Left - twist clockwise = points up
Right - twist clockwise = points up
Right - twist counterclockwise = points down

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you are making videos, could you please do one for the aiming adjustment?
I'll put it on my to do list since it is a little confusing to many first timers.

I'm interested in a quick DIY on lens restoration!
I had some BAD oxidation on the inside of my lens from some chemical. That's the lens that I had to do a full inside restoration on, and the lens I'm less than happy with. But I decided it's clear enough for me to live with.

One of my first attempts at eyebrows was with paint (I don't know why I did that...) so the tops of my lenses were destroyed with sand paper scratches from removal. I used the Meguiar's Heavy Duty (or something like that, it was the $25 kit from Walmart) restoration kit and I'm actually pretty satisfied with how it restored the outsides. I'll post pics later, though I don't have that great of "before" pics.

It's definitely good enough for my taste, and I'm persnickety about a lot of things. By far cheaper than getting new headlights for $150 a piece! Just takes a lot of time and elbow grease to get right.

do you know what kind of bulbs were in your headlights? Phillips? Osram?

*btw just used your youtube video to replace my OEM BiXenons, VERY helpful!!!
Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K right now. Not sure what I had before, but I'm almost certain they were 4300K as those are pretty standard. 6000K is illegal in many areas, so do your research.

Thanks for the video reference, always glad to hear when they help people. :thumbup:

Height adjustment - turn the adjusting screw directly.

Left - twist clockwise = points down
Left - twist counterclockwise = points up
Right - twist clockwise = points up
Rigth - twist counterclockwise = points down
Was this by using an allen wrench? Or by turning the recommended "knobs"? I've found that the only real way to adjust the headlights is to remove them and use an allen wrench.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Allen Wrench works best. You have to remove the headlights in order to make the adjustment. It takes a lot of trials and errors to find the perfect alignment for your taste, or the perfect angle.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Videos will come when I have the time.

Lens before:

Lens after:

You can see that the chrome surround of the low beam and the reflective surround of the high beam are the same piece:

Re-finished cover lens:

I also:
Smoked the turn signal bulbs so they aren't noticeable when off.
Removed the blue vinyl on the halos and painted the pieces from the behind (so it looks cleaner).
Touched up the smoked running lights.
And... The eyebrows will go back on later today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts