SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Does anyone have experience with headlights? My xenon headlight had an immense moisture inside the housing, what damaged my HID ballast, sadly it is no longer working (I have disassembled the headlight, the water just poured out of it...). To change the HID ballast would be ok, it doesnt costs a lot, but my problem is, that the headlight lens from inside is just hazy, foggy, looks very bad. I have already tried to clean it somehow, but it is I think not rescuable anymore (it was already so hazy, when i bought the car, I dont know what kind of damage happend to them, but now with the moisture, it has got worse...).

I wouldnt mind to drive along with halogens, so my question is: does a halogen unit fit my car? Does the wiring loom require any mods? If I buy a halogen unit for both sides, with the leveling motor, will the DIM throw fault messages regarding my lights? Or sould I buy new xenon units?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The physical mounting points and size are the same on the halogen assemblies.
The wire load with halogen is different though, 55W instead of 35W.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Which side headlight is the issue. I think you can go from xenon to halogen with no issues. I may have to do that myself as I just bought a 2006 S60 and the drivers headlight has moisture and headlight is inop. Dealer says they are going to replace but I think they believe its a halogen headlight. We shall see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have issue with the drivers side headlight. I don't know why, I own the car since half a year, there was no problem with moisture, but friday we had here a very heavy rain all day long. When I got back from work, i noticed that the DIM tells me, I should check the headlight... After I got home I have checked the headlight, the HID ballast was flooded, so I have dried it out. Of coure it's not working any more. I don't want to swap only the ballast, because I'm not sure, that after sealing the headlight I won't have the same issue once more.

If swapping to halogens is not possible then i'm considering to buy new xenon units... Something i don't wanted to make.

I don't want to mess around with the wiring loom.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Just swap in aftermarket HID . No sense of going backwards in lighting.

$35.00 for an aftermaket kit for both headlights.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I think that's what he's talking about. I put a kit like that in my wife's 2002 XC70 and she loved them. Looks like you can find two halogen units for about $300 on ebay and add the HID kits and you be much less than one new headlight. I priced out a Driver Side Bi-Xenon from Volvo today and my cost was $999.31, list was $1249. Luckily the dealer I bought my car from today already bought the Thousand Dollar Headlight, getting it Thursday.

Although I can't say for sure whether they are a direct plug in or if you may have an error message. You could go with some on amazon and just ship them back if they don't work out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi!

I think i will go for the new set of halogen units, I have found a set of TYC made headlight just for 270 USD. Hopefully this Xenon HID kits will work without the DIM throwing error messages.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a pair of halogens off a 07 S60 in real decent shape you can have for $180 plus shipping. I will include the harness you need. they have been for sale all summer but nobody had interest. I can email you pics if you give me your email address via pm. I figure they will cost about 40 bucks to ship to most places outside the Philly area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a pair of halogens off a 07 S60 in real decent shape you can have for $180 plus shipping. I will include the harness you need. they have been for sale all summer but nobody had interest. I can email you pics if you give me your email address via pm. I figure they will cost about 40 bucks to ship to most places outside the Philly area.
I live in Hungary! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts