SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Warning light claimed low-beam headlight was not working; this was not the case and the message did not repeat.

A few hours later, with no warning messages, both high-and-low-beam headlights are not operational; parking lights do work. Have checked fuses and relays with no problems.

In a very rural area, any thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Registered
89 Posts
On one side I'm assuming?

I'd check the harness to the light to see if some chafing rubbed the wires to cause a short.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
^ Agreed, if a halogen (or incandescent) bulb has an issue, it can be intermittent for a bit, as the filament flops around it may reconnect and work for a while, then break again.

I have seen it many times by taping on a bulb you can get it to work again, or break (if tapped when in the on position). It is molten metal when on, so it can re-weld or break in that state.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It appears the SIMM (module - or is it CEM?). This was our first XC90 (T6 - now on third) which we sold to a friend; the dealer is asking over $2,000.00 to repair. They have had so much trouble with this car the last couple of years beginning to feel guilty!

Is it worth shopping around for a better deal - or price of the SIMM (CEM)?

Thank you all for replying.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If it's the CEM (and it very well may be), you might want to check out Xemodex for a rebuilt unit- https://xemodex.com/us/product/cent...am-transfer-for-volvo-vo-1070-30657629-00-22/ . This is an early XC90 so it has the early version CEM (change at 2005), and I think there are some of the same heat cycle related issues around that period as there were with the P2 family DIMs.

At any rate, if you like this vehicle you could try them. There are instructions on how to remove the CEM, replacement is the reverse so no real reason why you could not consider doing this yourself and save a few bucks. Yes, it's possible to get a used unit and they clone it, but I know Xemodex makes some improvements to heat management so the extra cost is worth it in my opinion. I've used them on a 2003 DIM replace successfully.

Another option to consider.

** If you're rural, you might check to see if this vehicle has the larger Group49 battery in it. Since you have a T6 it'll come with the 160a alternator I believe, which "should" mean the larger 49 battery, but I have seen some examples where a 48 was installed in the earlier years. You can tell the 49 versus the 48 when you take the cover off the battery in the back, 49 is as large as the enclosure, 48 is maybe 3/4 size. Battery bracket down one the bottom right as well, if there's another threaded hole farther out from the bracket (as if another larger battery might go there), then you have a 48. For this vehicle in more harsh conditions or in more rural areas, I think the 49 offers a little more assurance with not too much of a cost increase. Post or two on this in the forums.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your considerate and thoughtful reply.

Their home (current owners of 2004) is not in a rural area but our mountain home, in the High Sierra, is extremely rural and it had to happen there; fortunately, everyone got off the mountain... in daylight.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Check the auto wreckers. I know Kelowna and Calgary each had a 2004 XC90. I got my blower motor and resistor unit for peanuts on a 50% off day compared to new pricing. There should also be pick n pulls in your area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts