SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I can't get my left headlight to work unless I mess with this connection, it has to be settled in just right not to far out or all the way in.

I was going to take apart the connectors and either clean the contacts or

can I just strip and twist them up with electrical tape because right now after a few bumps I'll lose light.

Just wanted some advice before I start tearing stuff apart and end up needing a whole new kit.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
199 Posts
First, it may not even be that plug that is the problem. It could possibly be the blue wire you marked as "bulb". Every time you move that plug, it's also moving the wires on either side of it.

Assuming that wire is not the problem, I would take some QD electronics cleaner and spray the ish out of both sides of the plug. The spray is cheap, so use it generously. Make sure you spray, clean with a qtip, spray more, clean again, spray more, then dry it with compressed air. Keep drying it until there can't possibly be any more of the cleaner in there. Then wait another 10 mins before plugging it in and trying it.

If that works, fantastic! Get some dielectric grease in there, plug it together and you're good to go.

Another possibility is that one or more of the connections in that connector may be burnt. You'll need to get a new pigtail and splice that in. Make sure you do it right, with some solder on each wire, and heat shrink them. Do this one first, since cleaning it will likely remove most of the evidence of a burnt connection.

Good luck! Report back with what you find!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the blue wire that seems to be the problem here, If I push the connector in the direction it'll make contact so I'm leaning towards a good cleaning being the key I'm sure some moister may have just gotten in there so I'll pick up a can of that and a packet of this tomorrow.

I don't have a soldering iron tho so hopefully I won't have to go that route.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
199 Posts
Soldering the wires is really more to better ensure that it won't come apart. You could use a clamp type connector, or even those colorful butt connectors, but I always have bad luck with them. Stupid things - I always crimp too hard or not hard enough, and they end up falling apart later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts