SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had the need to use my windshield washer since buying my '01 S80 T6 last week because the weather has been decent. Today I used the wash & found that while my headlight wipers work just fine, they don't appear to be washing.

Where do I start looking to get them to spray when I hit the wash for the windsheild?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Headlight wipers wipe, but don't wash (Muskoka)

1st confirm that you have washer fluid in the reservoir. Then confirm that you are activating the headlight wash correctly by pulling back on the stalk twice in rapid succession. If that doesn't solve the problem, trace back the hoses to confirm they are connected and not broken or cracked. If that still doesn't fix the problem, check the pump to confirm it is working.
Good luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Headlight wipers wipe, but don't wash (dragon17)

Quote, originally posted by dragon17 »
How do you even turn them on?

You pull back (toward you) on the wiper stalk to activate the washer fluid (and wipers) on the windshield. If you repeat this twice quickly, the headlight washer sprayers (and wipers) will activate...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Headlight wipers wipe, but don't wash (bschurr)

Well, here's an hour's results.

Curiously, if I pull back the stalk a single time, not twice, my headlight wipers activate. I have not had any success, however, in getting the washers to work, even with various timing differences between the first and second pulls on the stalk. The windshield washer works fine (in fact with enough pressure to go over the top of the windshield from all three jets), there is a ton of fluid in the reservoir, and I can see no signs of damage to the headlight fluid hoses and there's no signs of leakage either in the engine bay or on the ground. Is there a second, dedicated pump for the headlights?

Quote, originally posted by bschurr »
1st confirm that you have washer fluid in the reservoir. Then confirm that you are activating the headlight wash correctly by pulling back on the stalk twice in rapid succession. If that doesn't solve the problem, trace back the hoses to confirm they are connected and not broken or cracked. If that still doesn't fix the problem, check the pump to confirm it is working.
Good luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Muskoka »
<snip> Is there a second, dedicated pump for the headlights?

Sorry to hear that you are still having an issue.
I dunno if there is a 2nd pump or if the headlight washers are activated off the existing windshiled one. If you havent used the headlight washers in a long time, the line is either totally dry (in which case you should try MULTIPLE times to re-prime the lines to get the fluid moving) or, check to see that they are not totally blocked causing the malfunction.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Muskoka »
Curiously, if I pull back the stalk a single time, not twice, my headlight wipers activate...

Mine are first pull, but you have to hold it for at least 2 seconds.

From the manual:

Pull/Hold the stalk: Windshield wiper/washer, headlight wiper/washer (certain models). The wipers will make 2-3 sweeps across the windshield and headlights (certain models) after the lever is released.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Headlight wipers wipe, but don't wash (2k2S80t6)

Sorry it's taken so long, but it's taken this long for me to get back at this. I pulled the main hose to the headlight washers off, ran the wipers and there was full flow. I went to my local dealer and purchased a replacement Fluid Delivery Valve (Part #9178896, CA$5.48), pulled the hoses off the old one, put the new one in & they work as new in five minutes...okay, a month and five minutes.

A word of caution; Make sure your engine is cool when you do this. The headlight washer hoses are tucked in close to the radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts