SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "fill washer fluid" light pops on everytime I start the car but haven't gotten around to filling it yet. The windshield washers are still working okay but I noticed the headlight washers are not opening(even after 5 pulls on the windshield washer stick).

Do you guys think the headlight washers are malfunctioning or do they not work when the washer fluid isn't topped off?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I found this in the online version of the user's manual. Did you do 5 pulls of the washer stalk within 10-minutes? Do you have ABL xenon or regular halogen headlamps?

High-pressure headlight washing*
High-pressure headlight washing consumes a
large quantity of washer fluid. To save fluid, the
headlights are washed using two alternatives:
• Low/high beam headlights on. The headlights
will be washed the first time the windshield
is washed. Thereafter, the headlights
will only be washed once for every
five times the windshield is washed within
a 10-minute period.
• Parking lights on. Optional Active Bending
Lights will be washed once for every
five times the windshield is washed. Normal
halogen headlights will not be washed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the active xenon lights. The lights were set on. The headlight washers didn't work on the first pull like noted above. I also tried pulling the stalk 5 seperate times(after the wipers stopped wiping) within 1-2 minutes and still the headlight washers did not pop out.

I am going to refill the resovoir after work today to see if they won't work when "fill washer fluid" notice comes on.

Any thoughts until then?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Silly question, but are headlamp washers standard? Are they available on cars without the cold climate package?

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just found out how these work about 2 days ago. hehe. i thought they were just little pin hole nozzles on the 2 covers but couldn't find them. i ended up youtubing it and found out that it pops out and sprays the headlights. pretty nifty i think.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I answered my own question. Filled the washer reservoir and the headlight washers work again. When it's low, they must turn off to reserve washer fluid.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So I answered my own question. Filled the washer reservoir and the headlight washers work again. When it's low, they must turn off to reserve washer fluid.
I didn't know that. That sounds like a very clever feature.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the feature under normal conditions is a waste. Now I know to put my parking lights on before I wash the window. It's really annoying when the car is clean and the sprayers go off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think I proved the owners manual wrong. This morning I moved the headlight switch to "Parking Lights", hit the washer and sure enough, the headlight washers still sprayed. I have the halogen lights too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the feature under normal conditions is a waste. Now I know to put my parking lights on before I wash the window. It's really annoying when the car is clean and the sprayers go off.
I agree! It gets wiper fluid all over the hood/fenders which I imagine is stripping the wax off of it as well?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I believe I read this in the owner's manual. If the windshield washer fluid level is low, headlight washer does not work. This is one of those times where unfortunately I say RTFM.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I would have preferred a separate switch for the headlight washers. Perhaps they could put that blank foglight switch to good use.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"I would have preferred a separate switch for the headlight washers. Perhaps they could put that blank foglight switch to good use."

I agree. Maybe there's a fuse I can pull.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"I would have preferred a separate switch for the headlight washers. Perhaps they could put that blank foglight switch to good use."

I agree. Maybe there's a fuse I can pull.
Have you ever found that fuse? I would also prefer to disable mine, as it sucks up un-necessary fluid. I don't need them in the area I'm in, which is coastal. Maybe if I were somewhere that snowed a lot I can see the use.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It's a 20 amp circuit breaker located at position 8 in fuse box "C" in the engine compartment. Fuse box C is located under fuse box A. Not sure how that works.

Would have been nice if Volvo programmed the headlight washers to only work in the "auto" or 'on' position. That way if you didn't want to spot up your front end you could switch the headlight switch to the parking position before cleaning the windshield. Another simple software tweek :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts