SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked an xc90 as a parts vehicle and it came with an almost brand set of HID headlight assemblies.

My question is can I just swap these into my vehicle if it has halogens? I read that you get bulb out warning, but do they actually work?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Why not just cut the power to the ballast off the headlight harness, and just run a separate relay and switch inside the cabin to power them on. That way you wont destroy anything with the PWM system..

That would be the easiest way uneless you have skills to do reprogramming and who knows what re wiring that needs to happen.

Which ones did you get, the Reflector or projector based? Post some pictures.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's are the ones that are on it. The plugs are the same. I don't want to start cutting wiring.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well i would figure out which 2 wires power the ballasts, those are (+) and (-) cut those out of the harness, all other bulbs should still work, then just build a relay harness to power them off the battery with an input from the car harness to the headlight.

That should most certainly work.

Also compare the wires on the halogens to the pins on the connector you may find out if they are different in some way.

Otherwise maybe the ballasts or bulbs may be shot.

If you are willing to sell those let me know I can see about getting them working or testing them to see if they are functional still.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm probably not going to mess around with wiring on them. Was hoping someone maybe new if maybe it just needs to be programmed by the dealer or something. They do work on the vehicle I took them off of. And he had a set of halogens in the back seat that I'm assuming he replaced, so I thought they would work.

I will most likely just sell them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went through this same process with a set of HID's with projectors from a newer XC90 to my 2005... it was a mess.

The plugs located under the headlights (when removed) fit but were wired completely different. After bypassing the factory plug for the headlight as V50R suggested you get a BOW, in installed the proper resistors (plugged in the old headlight for blinkers, parking lights, and high beam) and ran the wires straight to the ballast was able to get the BOW to clear. The problem is you would have to rewire everything after that so I changed my game plan.

I ended up ordering the new LED H11's and they were plug and play on my old headlight. The light is really white and output it amazing. I was disappointed I couldn't use the projectors but I've never been happier with the result and simplicity of the install.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I might do that. Where did you get the LEDs from?

It was really the look of the headlight assembly that I liked better on the HID vs halogen. But brighter would be better too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea, the look is of the HID assembly is way cleaner. I agree.

Below is the link of the ones I bought, they have a year warranty, which I liked. I have had them in for a few weeks, zero problems and they make the car look 10 years newer. Night driving is literally 2x to 3x brighter. I'm usually not impressed with aftermarket upgrades but these blew away my expectations.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...s-conversion-kit-with-built-in-fan/2115/4803/

·
Registered
18 Posts
PS no resistor is needed, I wasted my money buying them just to find out they don't set off the BOW on my 2005.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, the look is of the HID assembly is way cleaner. I agree.

Below is the link of the ones I bought, they have a year warranty, which I liked. I have had them in for a few weeks, zero problems and they make the car look 10 years newer. Night driving is literally 2x to 3x brighter. I'm usually not impressed with aftermarket upgrades but these blew away my expectations.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...s-conversion-kit-with-built-in-fan/2115/4803/
Thanks. I'll check that out.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Got any pictures of the output???

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts