SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 2017 V90 Cross Country - Luxury Package - Osmium Grey and Amber Interior with 13k miles - I did not get this car from a Volvo Dealer. So far the car has been great and I love it. I am coming out of a 2005 Lincoln Aviator so this is a huge improvement - though i miss the big v8 in the Lincoln, its crazy this little 4 banger has as much HP and torque as the Lincoln, Lincoln power delivery was more smooth then the V90CC and does sound better.

My biggest concern right now is the driver side headlight has quite a few stress cracks, some crazing and what appears to be air bubbles in the plastic near the bumper. I didn't notice this at first, but was washing the car and it is obvious. Anyone else come across this issue? I know that UV light exposure can cause crazing, but it seems like for a 1.5 year old car this should not be happening quite yet (my 15yo Lincoln headlights doesn't have any stress cracks or crazing) From what i can gather the headlights on the V90CC run about $1,600-$2,200 so i would rather not have to shell out for a new one. Does this sound like something that Volvo warranty would cover?

The car has a few other, what i consider to be minor, electrical gremlins that i plan to take in for service/warranty.

1) Sensus has no internet connectivity via any method (modem/wifi/wifi-bluetooth tethering via iphone) - this issue is particularly perplexing as I can see the car on google wifi and google says everything is good.
2) No Voice Control (button does nothing)
3) Rear Defrost does not turn on (light comes on for a second and immediately shuts off)

I am assuming the electrical gremlins could all be related since Sensus seems to be interconnected to everything in the car - maybe just needs a software update??

TL;DR - driver side headlight has stress cracks, air bubbles and crazing. will volvo warranty cover this? Thanks in Advance for any insight.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Never seen this.... not really sure I understand. Stress-cracks I get... but what does it mean that a headlight is "crazing"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VxF,

Crazing is an extremely fine micro cracking on the surface of a material, is commonly seen in the glaze of pottery but also applies to polymers. It can not really be felt because it is so fine (talking electron microscope size cracks) but I can be seen due to the way the light scatters through the cracks. It happens quite a bit in older headlights(>5 years). Thanks John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Wouldn't this 17 car with only 13K miles be under warranty? I would think that Volve would replace anything with premature wear unless it was related to some kind of abuse.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
I have recently acquired a 2017 V90 Cross Country - Luxury Package - Osmium Grey and Amber Interior with 13k miles - I did not get this car from a Volvo Dealer. So far the car has been great and I love it. I am coming out of a 2005 Lincoln Aviator so this is a huge improvement - though i miss the big v8 in the Lincoln, its crazy this little 4 banger has as much HP and torque as the Lincoln, Lincoln power delivery was more smooth then the V90CC and does sound better.

My biggest concern right now is the driver side headlight has quite a few stress cracks, some crazing and what appears to be air bubbles in the plastic near the bumper. I didn't notice this at first, but was washing the car and it is obvious. Anyone else come across this issue? I know that UV light exposure can cause crazing, but it seems like for a 1.5 year old car this should not be happening quite yet (my 15yo Lincoln headlights doesn't have any stress cracks or crazing) From what i can gather the headlights on the V90CC run about $1,600-$2,200 so i would rather not have to shell out for a new one. Does this sound like something that Volvo warranty would cover?

The car has a few other, what i consider to be minor, electrical gremlins that i plan to take in for service/warranty.

1) Sensus has no internet connectivity via any method (modem/wifi/wifi-bluetooth tethering via iphone) - this issue is particularly perplexing as I can see the car on google wifi and google says everything is good.
2) No Voice Control (button does nothing)
3) Rear Defrost does not turn on (light comes on for a second and immediately shuts off)

I am assuming the electrical gremlins could all be related since Sensus seems to be interconnected to everything in the car - maybe just needs a software update??

TL;DR - driver side headlight has stress cracks, air bubbles and crazing. will volvo warranty cover this? Thanks in Advance for any insight.
2017 V90 CC with 13K miles is still covered under the 4 yr / 50K mile factory warranty:

1. Take vehicle to Volvo dealer for warranty inspection on headlights.

2. Sensus requires a subscription with ATT or to use Mobile Wifi as a hotspot to power Sensus. If none of these methods work, take in for warranty inspection / software update

3. Again, take vehicle in for warranty inspection on Voice Control.

4. This might an out of pocket issue. If someone tinted or did something and broke the defrost lines (happened to me on a bad tint job), then you have two options:

A: Replace the rear windshield with a new one. Probably around $750-$1000
B: Try to buy one of those defrost repair kits though results seem 50/50

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback MyVolvoS60! I plan to take the car in for warranty repairs, but my volvo dealer is booked out a few weeks. I am very curious if anyone else has come across this headlight issue and what volvo car usa was doing about it. I am sure they do not want to replace such expensive headlight units under warranty!

As i am new to Volvo, does sensus require a subscription to have any kind of internet connectivity? Sensus will connect to my home wifi network (i can see the car show up in my google wifi app), but the sensus unit has no actual internet connectivity - Yelp, Weather, etc will not load in this scenario. The globe never appears in the top left of Sensus. I did sign up for free trial of AT&T Connected Car and this too does not provide any kind of internet connectivity. Seems maybe like a bad software install or something.

As for the rear defrost, v90 CC has factory window tint so i do not believe there was a bad tint job involved (though i have been burned by one of those before too) and i inspected each of the defrost lines very closely with a flash light and they do not seem to have any nicks or obvious signs of damage/broken link. I have had other cars with a broken rear defrost and typically the damaged row would just not defrost anymore, while annoying is bearable as long as its the row that doesnt line up with your sight line out the back. The rear defrost at this point does not even power on - maybe the fuse is blown? If the fuse is blown that makes me wonder what made it blow, since a fuse blowing in cars is a pretty rare event. Anyways I tried to find the rear fuse box tonight but it seems like you have to rip apart all the passenger side trim in the cargo area to access it. I wonder if the engineers of these cars have ever actually done any work on them, no little cut out to access the fuses?!??! Thanks.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Thanks for the feedback MyVolvoS60! I plan to take the car in for warranty repairs, but my volvo dealer is booked out a few weeks. I am very curious if anyone else has come across this headlight issue and what volvo car usa was doing about it. I am sure they do not want to replace such expensive headlight units under warranty!
I don't own an S90 but each model has their know quirks. I.E. Enamel on my gear shift cracked. Took to dealer expecting to hear it's only cosmetic. Nope, they'd seen this issue countless times and replaced gear shift knob. Apparently, this is known, but Volvo has yet to rectify???? So the headlight issue but be a known failure point. Only way to tell is take vehicle in for inspection and see if Dealer Warranties an item.

Parts that do fail are sent off to Volvo R&D I was told. My auto dimming rearview mirror had a ghosting around the entire outer edges. Volvo dealer said they'd never seen this problem before and would be sending off the mirror for inspection in order to determine why it failed. So guess when you go into service you'll find out more.

As i am new to Volvo, does sensus require a subscription to have any kind of internet connectivity? Sensus will connect to my home wifi network (i can see the car show up in my google wifi app), but the sensus unit has no actual internet connectivity - Yelp, Weather, etc will not load in this scenario. The globe never appears in the top left of Sensus. I did sign up for free trial of AT&T Connected Car and this too does not provide any kind of internet connectivity. Seems maybe like a bad software install or something.
Yes, you either need to have a $20 / month subscription to AT&T or a T-Mobile Sim Card and service. Not sure if other GSM networks work or not. None the less, the car comes with a 3 month or 6 month (forget it changed) subscription and 3GB of data. As you purchased this car used, you may be able to call into AT&T and request a free trial. Otherwise, you can do what most people end up choosing.

I use my cell phone as a Mobile Hotspot, set the vehicle to Wifi, and connect via my cellular network. Without internet, the only items to work on the vehicle will be internet search and web browsing (if modem is selected).

As for the rear defrost, v90 CC has factory window tint so i do not believe there was a bad tint job involved (though i have been burned by one of those before too) and i inspected each of the defrost lines very closely with a flash light and they do not seem to have any nicks or obvious signs of damage/broken link. I have had other cars with a broken rear defrost and typically the damaged row would just not defrost anymore, while annoying is bearable as long as its the row that doesnt line up with your sight line out the back. The rear defrost at this point does not even power on - maybe the fuse is blown? If the fuse is blown that makes me wonder what made it blow, since a fuse blowing in cars is a pretty rare event. Anyways I tried to find the rear fuse box tonight but it seems like you have to rip apart all the passenger side trim in the cargo area to access it. I wonder if the engineers of these cars have ever actually done any work on them, no little cut out to access the fuses?!??! Thanks.
So my car came tinted from dealer. There was bubbling in the windows. Being Naive and Stupid, dealer agreed to pay for retint. I got talked into ripping off rear tint and reapply freshly. Place botched everything all around. And broke rear defrost lines. Had disclaimer so they told me, we you agreed to have it done. So I got screwed. Live and Learn.

But when this happened, the defroster wouldn't work at all either. So it's a possibility.....Other possibilities is someone "tried to do a repair" so all lines look "good" when they are actually not. Or a blown fuse.

You can test the Defroster either with a light tester or voltage meter to see whats up:

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
I have yet to see the headlight issue but the rest will need a software update. You can update your own Voice Command files here:
http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765

Software will fix the defroster issue and may fix the internet issue if it isn't a subscription related problem. It may also need a VCM. This software will need to be done at the dealer.
Definitely needs to take to dealer for troubleshooting / software....Only issue may be the car was bought used, so the defroster may or may not be a simple fix. Depending if some unscrupulous used car lot dealer (Op bought 3rd party) tried to "repair" defrost lines to make a sale. Or if a previous owner did something and broke some of the lines and try to effect a non working repair to hide damage.

Only way OP will know solution on Defrost is to test each grid or have dealer do so...Fingers crossed it is ONLY software related...Cause that back windshield is $750-1000 to replace.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Are we gonna do the thing where you make a bunch of assumptions and use those to argue my experience again? Come on man.

The defrost issue is a known issue with a bulletin. It's software. It's warranty. I've fixed a handful of these for the same problem.

If the bulletin doesn't work, a case with Technical Help Desk needs to be opened by the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Tech. Anyways, the rear defrost does not look damaged in anyway and has no signs of repair. If someone diy repaired it they did an exceptional job matching the factory defrost grid color exactly and lining up the repair on a microscopic level.

I did try to do the voice control updates when i first got the car, but still nothing happens when the steering wheel button is pressed. I did run into an issue yesterday where the Sensus system started repeatedly restarting while I was driving, did this 3 times in a row, maybe the whole unit is bad? I was assuming most of the secondary concerns I had were software related issues that would be dealt with under warranty. The headlights are my biggest concern as of now, sounds like it is a pretty unusual issue. I will post back any updates. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Are we gonna do the thing where you make a bunch of assumptions and use those to argue my experience again? Come on man.

The defrost issue is a known issue with a bulletin. It's software. It's warranty. I've fixed a handful of these for the same problem.

If the bulletin doesn't work, a case with Technical Help Desk needs to be opened by the dealership.
I'm not arguing, just relying upon OPs assessment it doesn't work. Again, only taking to the dealer will give a definitive answer. Until then, neither you nor I can speculate since the car was bought used. I hope you are right about there being a software issue for OP's sake because replacing back window isn't cheap.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Thank you Tech. Anyways, the rear defrost does not look damaged in anyway and has no signs of repair. If someone diy repaired it they did an exceptional job matching the factory defrost grid color exactly and lining up the repair on a microscopic level.

I did try to do the voice control updates when i first got the car, but still nothing happens when the steering wheel button is pressed. I did run into an issue yesterday where the Sensus system started repeatedly restarting while I was driving, did this 3 times in a row, maybe the whole unit is bad? I was assuming most of the secondary concerns I had were software related issues that would be dealt with under warranty. The headlights are my biggest concern as of now, sounds like it is a pretty unusual issue. I will post back any updates. Thanks.
I had a sensus rebooting / freezing issue which was resolved by software. I'd venture a guess MOST of your issues require some updates.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Until then, neither you nor I can speculate since the car was bought used.
What does it being bought used have to do with speculating? Any time someone tries to help with a problem on this forum, they are speculating. I'm not personally inspecting and diagnosing anyone's car here. I'm speculating.

But I speculate based on actual experience, training and knowledge. Additionally, in this case, there is a bulletin for a fix for a known issue with identical symptoms. I don't speculate based on paranoid worst case scenarios based on who knows what.

To the OP:
If the Voice Commands either did not update or the update didn't work, THD might need to do a remote takeover while at the dealership to manually load the files. I've seen this as well.

As for the center display rebooting, that also should be taken care of with the total update.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
What does it being bought used have to do with speculating? Any time someone tries to help with a problem on this forum, they are speculating. I'm not personally inspecting and diagnosing anyone's car here. I'm speculating.

But I speculate based on actual experience, training and knowledge. Additionally, in this case, there is a bulletin for a fix for a known issue with identical symptoms. I don't speculate based on paranoid worst case scenarios based on who knows what.
Being bought used and from a 3rd party dealer (used car lot) means you aren't always given the full picture on maintenance history and problems. Per OP "I did not get this car from a Volvo Dealer.".

1. Instructing OP to check the rear defrost lines is a SIMPLE check, that if a broken one were discovered, would explain the problem. NOTE, my reply to him said MIGHT EXPLAIN.

2. Scenarios like previous owner having something mounted on rear window (dash camera) or a shoddy tint job that was removed could break the lines.

3. You are PROBABLY correct on the TJ. I'm not arguing. But you act as if giving OP an instruction to inspect Rear Defrost lines bruised your ego. And yes, we are BOTH speculating....But doing some troubleshooting never hurt either. For OP's sake, as he replied no broken lines, I hope the TJ resolves.

To the OP:

If the Voice Commands either did not update or the update didn't work, THD might need to do a remote takeover while at the dealership to manually load the files. I've seen this as well.

As for the center display rebooting, that also should be taken care of with the total update.
Most other things are probably software, if not all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello - Just thought I would post a quick update. I got my car back from the dealer today. They are ordering a headlight to be replaced under warranty, said they had not seen that issue before, but agreed it was not right.

They did the Total Sensus update no more random restarts (at least on my 45 minute drive home) and the rear defrost was indeed a software issue as Tech had indicated. Service adviser indicated he had not seen that problem before, but suddenly in the last 4 months or so he has had 8 cars with the same issue.

The internet connectivity (via any source home wifi, tethered to cellphone, vehicle modem) is still not resolved, they are blaming on expired AT&T subscription, but according to AT&T the Connected Car subscription is active.

I forgot to try the voice control so I guess tomorrow I will try again, I don't even know if i will ever use it, my VW has it and I have never once used it.

I picked up the car after service was closed for the day so I will have to connect with them again regarding the internet issue.

The service advisor did mention to me that the car has an aftermarket windshield so I may have trouble if something goes wrong with the IntelliSense unit, I thought this was odd as using aftermarket parts does not instantly void a warranty (thank you Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act), maybe he is just not familiar with federal laws governing warranties. Thanks. John

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture of the headlight if you get a chance? I'd like to see it so I can keep an eye out.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Hello - Just thought I would post a quick update. I got my car back from the dealer today. They are ordering a headlight to be replaced under warranty, said they had not seen that issue before, but agreed it was not right.

They did the Total Sensus update no more random restarts (at least on my 45 minute drive home) and the rear defrost was indeed a software issue as Tech had indicated. Service adviser indicated he had not seen that problem before, but suddenly in the last 4 months or so he has had 8 cars with the same issue.
Kudos to Tech for nailing the defrost issue. I've had two head scratchers on my car. Driver side mirror motor died. Sounded like vehicle was a Jumbo Jet taking off for landing. Volvo had never seen a motor failure.

My Rearview Mirror had a Ghosting all around the mirror. Again, they'd never seen that issue. Said mirror was going to be submitted to R&D to evaluate what hapened.

The internet connectivity (via any source home wifi, tethered to cellphone, vehicle modem) is still not resolved, they are blaming on expired AT&T subscription, but according to AT&T the Connected Car subscription is active.
AT&T staff are dumber than a box of rocks. I spent a month arguing with AT&T when my service didn't work. Ended up being a billing and partitioning issue. But god forbid, none of the techs could isolate the problem.

However, your issue CANNOT be an AT&T issue:

AT&T has zero to do with tethering via Wifi or Cell Hotspot.

My Suggestion: Enable the Mobile Hotspot on your cell phone. Ensure that the Security for the hotspot is set to WPA2. Set a password. Now go to internet on the car and select Wifi. Does it scan and see the phone's network at all? If so, go ahead and try to connect.

If it doesn't see your phone's hotspot, try another person's phone, doing the same as above. If that doesn't work, chances are the unit has a hardware issue. Assuming the Moden truly doesn't work...and the Wifi is broken too.

What happens when you select Modem? Does it connect with the Cell Tower Bars? But Pandora and Apps don't work? If this is the case, that'd be AT&T. And your modem works fine.

However, I would bank on the fact your hotspot isn't configured properly.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tech,
I will try to get out my good camera tomorrow and take some pictures,iPhones tiny photo sensor was not able to pick them up very well.

The internet connectivity is baffling - I use Google WiFi for home network which only available security encryption is WPA2, sensus seems to connect to this, WiFi symbol appears in top left but no globe/internet. Google WiFi app shows the car as a connected device.

Cellphone is IPhone X, which again only available security encryption is wpa2, sensus seems to connect to this via Bluetooth and WiFi (iPhone shows the hot spot is actively being used in both connection types) but again no globe icon or internet.

I have also connected the car to my wife’s iPhone X, my work iPhone 7 and my iPad(WiFi+cellular) all produce the same results, sensus connects just fine, but there is no actual internet connectivity for sensus. I have grown up with computers and have been an internet user since 1995 when AOL really came to life, I set up my first WiFi network in my first apartment in 2003, I was so excited when 802.11g came about with the max theoretical rate to 54mbps, even though no isp around me provided broadband remotely that fast lol. Anyways, I would consider myself very competent in this area, so to me it is definitely not my lack of understanding on how to set up a personal hotspot on an iPhone.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
The internet connectivity is baffling - I use Google WiFi for home network which only available security encryption is WPA2, sensus seems to connect to this, WiFi symbol appears in top left but no globe/internet. Google WiFi app shows the car as a connected device.
The ability for the car to pick up and connect to wifi outside the direct proximity of the car is very limited. Pretty much you could be sitting in the Garage with the Wifi Router next to the door and I'm not sure how much success you have. I tried connecting to my home network sitting in the garage and it was very sporadic. Seems the Wifi Module is designed to only work with devices from within the vehicle.

Therefore, ensure your cell phone has WIFI configured Properly. Security Should be WPA2. Set a Password. And enable Hotspot. Assuming your plan includes the hotspot.

Cellphone is IPhone X, which again only available security encryption is wpa2, sensus seems to connect to this via Bluetooth and WiFi (iPhone shows the hot spot is actively being used in both connection types) but again no globe icon or internet.
Disable Bluetooth on your phone. Turn on the Hotspot on the Cell Phone. And set the vehicle to Wifi. Try to connect to the your car to the Phone's Wifi.

I have also connected the car to my wife’s iPhone X, my work iPhone 7 and my iPad(WiFi+cellular) all produce the same results, sensus connects just fine, but there is no actual internet connectivity for sensus. I have grown up with computers and have been an internet user since 1995 when AOL really came to life, I set up my first WiFi network in my first apartment in 2003, I was so excited when 802.11g came about with the max theoretical rate to 54mbps, even though no isp around me provided broadband remotely that fast lol. Anyways, I would consider myself very competent in this area, so to me it is definitely not my lack of understanding on how to set up a personal hotspot on an iPhone.

Understood, but ruling out user error is the most logical step before saying the unit is faulty. See above about trying to connect with blutooth turned off on phone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts