SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - been a while. My passenger side headlight keeps cutting out, then it will inexplicably turn right back on again. Often, simply flipping the headlight dial to the DRL's and back will re-engage the headlight. I also noticed that side by side, that lamp is a slightly different hue than the drivers side. Is this the bulb going bad? Or do we think its wiring?

On a side note, my Low Battery indicator flipped on for a minute the other day when i had the engine off and the radio on while waiting for someone.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Out as in no light coming out of them?

Or out as in possibly just aiming straight down? I had a headlight motor fail on me, that caused both lights to aim down. I could 'reset' it by switching to DRL and back.

The different hue, would be a bulb issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
One of my headlights was doing the same thing, changing the bulb fixed it

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The light cuts out completely.

Taking the car in tomorrow morning for an oil change, replacement battery, and bulb replacement. Went with some better bulbs this time around, hopefully it will increase my light output a bit. Other drivers might not like me too much, but oh well. I had the same battery since i bought the car used in 2008, so it was probably due anyways.

Any idea what the battery should run $?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh so much fun. Headlights installed, but they didnt calibrate or level them. So glad I paid the dealer to do it for me. Guess who gets to spend his lunch break at the dealer!?

Not to mention, this is the 2nd time in 2 years they have done this, and not understood what i meant when i said "the headlights aren't leveled or calibrated properly"

response "what do you mean by that"

my response "at 12 inches from the wall, the left is clearly pointed 6" higher than the right"

their response "hmm, the tech drives a v70r, so he isnt sure and would need to see it."

Seriously?

*edit* - At least they tested my battery, it appears to be 100% fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mine was doing this same thing. I swapped my bulbs right to left and vice versa and they have been flawless since.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine has now gone back to working perfectly - this after giving up hope and figuring it was the wiring harness gone bad. It's not the ballast on mine, which has been replaced and shows zero signs of water contamination (the old unit probably wasn't the problem either and I still have it just in case). There's definitely some gremlin on the passenger side headlight - given I also have the dipping erratic leveler issue (pulled the plug to keep it level now).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts