SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not sure if this would be valuable but wanted to post a project that I've been working on.
I've appreciated the ABL lights in the S80, but always felt the light output and quality of light could be improved, so I wanted to try to upgrade them. I also really dislike the orange sidemarkers, and toyed with several options to remove them. I purchased clear markers, but ultimately didn't use them and decided to scrap the bezel trim and try something new for the lights.

Pics below.
More than happy to do a "how-to" if there is any interest.

Stock v. Modified

Lens replacement

Re-sealed

On the car

Light comparison to stock

Light output and cutoff is noticeably better. the cutoff is even more pronounced than the photos reflect. I still plan to upgrade the D1S bulbs with Osram CBB bulbs, but the light output is improved already. The headlights have a more "minimalistic" appearance that I like and think they look more modern.

Happy to answer any questions, and hope you enjoyed the post.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That is good work:thumbup: Unsealing and resealing the lens must have been a PIA.

I ended up using slightly more powerful D1S bulbs with a hotter temp. They did improve the light output.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Where did you get the new lenses? Mine are all haze and cracked and ideally I would replace just the lenses rather than the whole assembly. Like the look of your car; I didn't know that grey was that dark.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is good work:thumbup: Unsealing and resealing the lens must have been a PIA.

I ended up using slightly more powerful D1S bulbs with a hotter temp. They did improve the light output.
Tools definitely helped the process. Wasn't too bad actually. Baked the lights for ~13mins and used the tools below to open them up.

Where did you get the new lenses? Mine are all haze and cracked and ideally I would replace just the lenses rather than the whole assembly. Like the look of your car; I didn't know that grey was that dark.
No new lenses, just polished the stock hazed lenses. Sanded from 800-3000 and then hit them with 2 coats of 2K clear. They came out pretty good considering. I wasn't able to find any place that sells replacement headlight lenses for our model.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes they looked new to me at least from the pictures. I've polished and sealed mine a couple times however they are also cracked around where the screws go into them so they should be replaced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not so sure if I like the look without the orange sidemarkers, they look kinda broken without them and without the bezel. The white reflectors from the latest facelift would've been my pick for that dark color and maybe paint the bezels black or in the same color as the car. But hey, to each their own I guess.
The new light output is definitely an improvement and that alone is a big plus.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Agree the new look is definitely different, and not stock looking. Still have the white reflectors and painted the bezels black originally so may change it up in the future.
Thanks for all the comments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts