SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so the other day my right headlight went out on my R. Wasn't too big of an issue because the car just hit 100k and all the tailights went out so I figured some other lights would go too. Here's the weird part though, I haven't changed the bulb yet (I gotta get it online) but sometimes when I'm driving the headlight flickers back on, just for a brief second and then goes back out. So now I'm thinking its not the bulb, but a loose connection? I jangled around the wires and couldn't find any weak spots so is there a specific area I should check? Also it just started raining (gotta love the NW) and I've noticed a considerable amount of condensation in the headlight housing. I was thinking I'd just black them out anyway when I fix the headlight and take them apart, so I'm not too upset, but it's definitely annoying. (BTW is it really safe to put the whole headlight housing in the oven for 10min at 350deg.? seems a bit much).

Also I was using my fog lights and they were working the other day, but now they're not working at all? I checked the bulbs and they look good, so I'm thinking there's a specific place where they're all connected that's giving me problems?

Any help is appreciated, as I'm not too familiar with the caR's electronics

On a side note though, love my car :)

·
6,436 Posts
it's the headlight ballast - common problem. They're located directly under the headlights.
If you search the forum you will find a part # for it

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Have you checked if your high beams are on. Fogs turn off when they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks, so you guys think I need to replace the whole ballast? Anyway I could soak it in rice or something to try and fix it before spending >$100?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the exact problem happen to me this week, but my driver side light. I just had the car washed and been noticing more condensation getting into the headlights. Now the driver side does not come one (maybe once in a while). I will be swapping the bulbs from the passenger side to the driver side just to check if its the bulb first.

Where are the weak spots to reseal? I'm tempted to just put some RTV around the entire headlight gaps.

Also why spend +$100 on a ballast when aftermarket kits are half the price for a complete kit?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You'll spend more than $100 ballast unless used. If you have a cheaper source let us all know.
The HID kits ballast are not the same as the OE ones and you'd have failure message in DIM message center.
THe ballast in our cars is a more or less generic ballast by Valeo. It is used on some other Euro makes and on some Chryslers.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I thought the Chrysler 300 C was the same and about half the price.

Otherwise you are looking at a projector kit conversion!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I split my headlights without using an oven. Rather, a super-powerful heat gun (powerful enough to melt the plastic housing, ask me how I know), a screw driver to pry the headlight apart and time time time. The end result is worth it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Humm. So I've swapped my bulbs and its not a bulb issue. I then checked the fuses for headlamps and found #18 blown which is the driver side low beam headlight...interesting. I replace it with one of the spares and nothing. Leads me to believe it is indeed an issue with the ballast.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Humm. So I've swapped my bulbs and its not a bulb issue. I then checked the fuses for headlamps and found #18 blown which is the driver side low beam headlight...interesting. I replace it with one of the spares and nothing. Leads me to believe it is indeed an issue with the ballast.
If you had water issues it may have finally shorted.

If you get water in there you can remove all the bulbs and then blow a hairdryer through those access holes to dry out the headlamps, leave it run overnight. Do this early and you might save a dying ballast?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Okay thanks, so you guys think I need to replace the whole ballast? Anyway I could soak it in rice or something to try and fix it before spending >$100?
If you are still in the market I have a Used OEM Ballast in the for sale section for $99 shipped.

I personally bought this tried it out and found out my fuse was shot as opposed to the ballast. It is tested and works just fine.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?182801-Used-HID-Ballast-*GUARANTEED-WORKING*-99-SHIPPED

·
Registered
136 Posts
About the fog lights
mine had a similar issue and it turned out to be a ground on them.
I believe the ground wires are the red wires located inside the black cap you remove to change the bulb

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey so the other day my right headlight went out on my R. Wasn't too big of an issue because the car just hit 100k and all the tailights went out so I figured some other lights would go too. Here's the weird part though, I haven't changed the bulb yet (I gotta get it online) but sometimes when I'm driving the headlight flickers back on, just for a brief second and then goes back out. So now I'm thinking its not the bulb, but a loose connection? I jangled around the wires and couldn't find any weak spots so is there a specific area I should check? Also it just started raining (gotta love the NW) and I've noticed a considerable amount of condensation in the headlight housing. I was thinking I'd just black them out anyway when I fix the headlight and take them apart, so I'm not too upset, but it's definitely annoying. (BTW is it really safe to put the whole headlight housing in the oven for 10min at 350deg.? seems a bit much).

Also I was using my fog lights and they were working the other day, but now they're not working at all? I checked the bulbs and they look good, so I'm thinking there's a specific place where they're all connected that's giving me problems?

Any help is appreciated, as I'm not too familiar with the caR's electronics

On a side note though, love my car :)
I'm having the exact same issue as you are, passenger hid light not firing. I've already tried the ballast, which did not fix the problem and it's not the bulb, as swapping to the driver's side works. My passenger fog light was damaged and I wonder if a short in the fog wiring is causing the headlight not to work. I've pulled the fog fuses, hoping that would help, but it didn't and no other fuses were burned, so that's not the issue. It had been working up until the rain we got last week, so it makes sense that it could be a wiring related issue - but finding the source of the problem is the problem now.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No car year info. It does matter. The hardware for headlight circuits is much different 2004 down and 2005 up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check your fuses, both in the drivers dash and under the hood. Fuse numbers and locations can be found in the manual. That is where i would start...

·
Registered
135 Posts
No car year info. It does matter. The hardware for headlight circuits is much different 2004 down and 2005 up.
Mine is an '07 vR. I've checked all fuses, both under dash and engine compartment and no signs of fuse issues. It's got to be the wiring at some point. I even doubt the replacement ballast did anything because immediately after replacing it, the light still didn't work. Then magically the next day it worked. Of course the leveling motor also went on the fritz, whether that's related or not I don't know, but ended up pulling the plug on that just to keep the light from aiming at the ground or going up and down as I drove (which must have looked funny to cars coming at me).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts