SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help tracking down a headlight problem on my 1993 Volvo 240. When the headlight switch is turned full on neither the headlights nor taillights work. When the switch is turned to the parking light position both the parking lights and the taillights do work. The headlight high beam flasher works. Both headlight bulbs are good; the headlight relay (under the hood next to the radiator overflow tank) has been checked against a known good relay from another 1993 Volvo; the headlight switch is new (genuine Volvo part); all ground connections are good (checked with multimeter). I'm at a loss as to what else to check. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Headlight problem 1993 Volvo 240 (duffel)

Welcome to Swedespeed, duffel.<p>Noticed that you have been around but silent here at SS.<p>Your '93 may have another headlight relay under the dash - not sure.<p>Also, a faulty bulb out sensor will mess with headlight operation.<p>When did this start and how? Why did you replace the headlight switch?<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Headlight problem 1993 Volvo 240 (gdill2)

George: Thanks for the info. I found and replaced a bad relay that was located behind and above the heater controls. That corrected the problem and now the headlights work properly. I replaced the headlight switch because it seemed to require an inordinate amount of effort to turn on the lights. Although I don't believe that the switch was the cause of the relay problem, I didn't want to suffer a failure there, too.<p>Thanks again for your help. <p>Tom Godbout <br>"Duffel"

·
Registered
1 Posts
5 years later....

I'm having the exact same problem in my 1991 Volvo 240. I've replaced the headlight relays (under hood and behind brake pedal), but still no luck. I just ordered the headlight switch, but I'm curious which relay you replaced behind the heater controls.

Jasper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts