SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 lenses suck...they are super cloudy. I tried to polish them, got mediocre results. I cannot afford Volvo replacements. Are there any aftermarket lenses that will give me satisfactory results? I would like to be able to see at night!!!.

·
Registered
289 Posts
3M is the only kit I've found to really work very well. Ive used it on other cars where you could't even see the internals. Beyond that youll have to wax monthly or use a product to cover(clear lens or a headlight specific ceramic nano coating)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have TYC and Headlight Depot lights in my V70 (found both in a JY). The HD light has held up better than the TYC light. The TYC isn't as clear, has had condensation issues, and bounces slightly over hard bumps.

Aftermarket halogen headlights can run $175 to $250, each.

You can remove the headlights and sand with 400 grit, 800 grit, then 1600 grit. Then, spray with a UV resistant coating, such as SEM Solaray or SpeedKote SMR-700A. Both are UV cured clear coats. 15 min in the sun is usually sufficient to cure. They are more UV resistant than regular clear coats.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Can retrofit glass lens lights from earlier cars. Fixes that issue.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Exocet's points about the UV protection are critical, as the sanding removes the OEM UV layer and you will be back to yellow quickly.

Need to look up the UV protectant I used last time (still going strong 2 summers later) but think the one to try next might be this one (primer plus two part UV protectant topcoat that should provide a more durable coating)

https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/prod...s-and-spot-blender/headlight-restoration-kit/

Or swap to 2001-2004 glass headlights, they have gotten quite cheap.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Your headlights turn yellow as a result of the polycarbonate lens exposure to UV radiation from sunlight. Typically, a UV resistant coating is applied at the factory. Over time, this coating may degrade, causing the lenses to yellow. Once they've turned yellow, they will continue to do so, until some sort of UV protection is applied. You can sand and polish the lenses back to a clear state. Wipe on UV treatments require frequent reapplication. Periodic cleaning, with ammonia, or polishing can help remove the yellow layer before it gets too bad.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Exocet's points about the UV protection are critical, as the sanding removes the OEM UV layer and you will be back to yellow quickly.

Need to look up the UV protectant I used last time (still going strong 2 summers later) but think the one to try next might be this one (primer plus two part UV protectant topcoat that should provide a more durable coating)

https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/prod...s-and-spot-blender/headlight-restoration-kit/

Or swap to 2001-2004 glass headlights, they have gotten quite cheap.
or cover the lens with Expel or 3M.
Did this with my 07 V70 when new.
replaced the film last year and the original headlight lens looked BFN. (just out of the box)! :thumbup:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Find a 2002 at a local pick n pull, grab the lens and reflector unit or whole assembly. They are made from glass and don't cloud. You can't use the whole assembly as the wiring harness was changed unless you won't to retrofit the connectors... The lens is fluted so they are meant for a certain reflector unit. If you can find a HID headlight, they are unfluted glass and most will use your wiring harness I believe. That is what I have on my 2002 Volvo... Most pick n pulls will charge 30ish for the whole assembly...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can retrofit glass lens lights from earlier cars. Fixes that issue.
Are there any tutorials out there with a step-by-step procedure? I did a quick search and came up empty.
I've got a 2002 parts car with beautiful glass lenses which I think would look great on my 07XC. The wiring going to the headlights looks different between the 2007 and 2002. I don't have the confidence/knowledge to start cutting wires unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing.
Maybe I'll just sand, polish and clearcoat the cloudy lenses on the 2007. That doesn't seem like too bad a job.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Are there any tutorials out there with a step-by-step procedure? I did a quick search and came up empty.
I've got a 2002 parts car with beautiful glass lenses which I think would look great on my 07XC. The wiring going to the headlights looks different between the 2007 and 2002. I don't have the confidence/knowledge to start cutting wires unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing.
Maybe I'll just sand, polish and clearcoat the cloudy lenses on the 2007. That doesn't seem like too bad a job.
Make a harness and just plug them in.

·
Registered
16,855 Posts
Do you have a simple tutorial to achieve the making of this harness? There's an 04 at my local pick n pull that I might have to go harvest. The front is in stellar shape and it arrived Monday.
It would help my 05 s60 GREATLY. Right now, I add some gel to the lenses when I wash and it lasts a week or so, and even then as much of an improvement as it is, it's still mediocre.
They will bolt up DIRECTLY??
Make a harness and just plug them in.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Do you have a simple tutorial to achieve the making of this harness? There's an 04 at my local pick n pull that I might have to go harvest. The front is in stellar shape and it arrived Monday.
It would help my 05 s60 GREATLY. Right now, I add some gel to the lenses when I wash and it lasts a week or so, and even then as much of an improvement as it is, it's still mediocre.
They will bolt up DIRECTLY??
100% bolt up.

Need to get the car end of an -04 and the light end of an 05+ harness and just splice the proper wires together.

·
Registered
16,855 Posts
Got it. Like the text you sent me a few weeks ago, I'll make sure to grab the harness ends whenever I find a good set and not leave them behind like someone else did.
100% bolt up.
Need to get the car end of an -04 and the light end of an 05+ harness and just splice the proper wires together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts