SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Headlight lenses (Heimpel)

There are lenses on ebay for 2004 and older models ($125 + shipping).
Search ebay for Volvo headlight glass. You may also find a whole assembly pretty cheap at times, but most often not. I bought a 2005 assembly for $20

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet I was just looking at them... thanks. Also I was wondering if anyone knew whether clear lenses were possible? Do the newer S60's have clear lenses like the R? Do those fit an 01 S60?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (Heimpel)

You cannot use clear lenses with the old reflectors, since that'll screw up the light pattern. The prisms are there for a purpose. It is possible to update to the '05 assemblies, but that requires some wiring work since the harness is different. Not too difficult to do if you're electrically inclined.

It's just that the newer headlights are friggin difficult to find used, and new ones are not worth the cost.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i guess ill just get some an 01-04 lens. One of my lenses is cracked and that side's bulb happened to blow out while it was raining so I assume moisture got in it. I was going to replace the bulbs with one of those HID conversion kits, and thought clear lenses would look better and I was not sure how much the lens pattern actually affected the projection that much. I guess i'll just go with the original plan. Thanks though. How was this weather down in SD? I go to school down there and am home in Malibu for spring break, snow level musta been around 1500 in the early morning.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (Heimpel)

If you go to HID, clear should be okay for all I know. the new lense is plastic, and seems different enough not to fit. The HIDs with the old lenses have been kind of sucky what I've seen. The original halogens are pretty okay, especially with silverstar bulbs. If you put in HIDs it's more for the looks, and you can't see them much under the lense. There should be more salvage assemblies out there in a year when more '05s get smashed. move the HIDs into clear headlights then.

The coast was fine today, a bit cool in the low sixties, but sunny and dry. Didn't know it was snowing in the mountains. It's been raining like crazy at nights tho.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (bsimple)

Incidentally, I just installed new headlights today. I am friggin exhausted, it was pretty physical with the bumper cover getting in the way... The wiring took some thinking, and was a bit tight fit on the left side.

I hunted the lights on ebay for a while, found one used XC70 assembly for $20, but not the other side. I ordered a new part from Keystone motors, PA. The price for one light was good, and it came with wiring and bulbs. See general FWD forum for contact info.

I don't recommend mixing XC70 and S60 lights though. I will post some pictures later and let people guess why...

If you want to install yourself and need help or tips, gimme a holla.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: (Mika)

Mika,

Got any pics of the wire up? I'm thinking of switching mine but found the connectors are not identical.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (ss60)

I thought that I took more pics, but I only gone one that is a bit out of focus.

There are two connectors in the car, one for HL and one for the blinker. The new wiring harness has one big connector for all. I cut the wires at the big connector, and spliced with the car, so that I could use either assembly. The simple splice should be fine in my climate, but would probably oxidize in winter weather. The wires could be soldered and insulated.

Anyhoo, I used a common ground for all (use an ohm-meter to make sure which wire is which, inside the assembly and in the car), and took low and high beam from the main connector and blinker and parking light from the blinker connector. It would also be a good idea to just have a new thick ground wire directly to the chassis, rather than using the thin HL wire.

The wires going to the headlight are red, white, yellow, black and orange.
There are also a number of wires that will be left unconnected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.