SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been having some issues the last two weeks and I need help. Im scared my headlights lights will cut out at night. So when I bought my car I noticed that the passenger side headlight was a different color. I checked with the local volvo dealer and they said more then likely the color difference was because of the previous owner changing it out to some aftermarket light. So about two weeks ago that light just went out. So I ordered a new set from DDM tuning (still waiting to get them) well tonight that light started working again still a different color then the driver side light but working none the less. Well as I was just driving home the auto lights came on and all of a sudden the driver side light started flickering like it had a bad connection to the power or ground. After it flickered for a while it went out. I tried turning the lights off and on a few times and each time I turned the lights on when the ballast fired the driver side light would flicker then go out and the passenger side light would work just fine. So I am really confused as to what would cause one light to fail then start working again and them make the other light freak out and die. So please help I need to get this fixed asap I work at night and need my headlights

Also can someone tell me how to check the headlights and check the connection without killing myself since these are HIDs??

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's probably moisture in your ballasts. Either that or the bulbs aren't seated properly. Someone with more experience can help though. I think Vio had the same issues.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The color will turn pinkish/purpleish as the bulb dies. As said above, the starting/stopping is probably wet ballasts. Do a google search for fixes.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
When I got my R with 64k miles, the headlights were not the same color at all, one was bluer than the other. The dealership reported no faults and said it was normal as they age. I got a set of replacements from SharpeHID for pretty cheap - like, $23/set cheap. I keep the good old bulb in the trunk, just in case.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok I have been having some issues the last two weeks and I need help. Im scared my headlights lights will cut out at night. So when I bought my car I noticed that the passenger side headlight was a different color. I checked with the local volvo dealer and they said more then likely the color difference was because of the previous owner changing it out to some aftermarket light. So about two weeks ago that light just went out. So I ordered a new set from DDM tuning (still waiting to get them) well tonight that light started working again still a different color then the driver side light but working none the less. Well as I was just driving home the auto lights came on and all of a sudden the driver side light started flickering like it had a bad connection to the power or ground. After it flickered for a while it went out. I tried turning the lights off and on a few times and each time I turned the lights on when the ballast fired the driver side light would flicker then go out and the passenger side light would work just fine. So I am really confused as to what would cause one light to fail then start working again and them make the other light freak out and die. So please help I need to get this fixed asap I work at night and need my headlights

Also can someone tell me how to check the headlights and check the connection without killing myself since these are HIDs??
Easy solution to knowing what may be wrong - swap the bulbs from side to side. If the passenger side bulb works fine in the driver's side light, then it's not the bulb. If it doesn't work, chances are good you just need new bulbs. BUT, that doesn't mean it couldn't be something more like the ballast. I too had a flickering passenger light, confirmed the bulb was shot, got two new bulbs (ddmtuning.com), replaced both and the passenger light still didn't work. It took getting a new ballast (wermopar.com $108) to fix the light. Of course now my passenger leveling motor is failing, but haven't looked at what that means for a possible fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys I got my new bulbs today so tomorrow ill install them and see what happens. Also how do I know if I have leveling motors? My lights have always been kinda low I even raised them all the way up using the manuel adjusters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts