SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this strange issue with my left headlight that I am confident the experts here on the forum can help me with

My left headlight will suddenly go off and I will receive a message about the bulb pop up on the dash.

The weird thing is that it can go a month, a week or a day without happening, otherwise everything appears normal

If I turn the switch for the lights it will turn the light back on, but this is usually temporary

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Either faulty bulb or ballast. Try swapping the bulbs left to right. If the problem follows then you need a new bulb. If not then its the ballast which is what my money is on.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
D2C, D2R or D2S is the bulb(s) that fit. D2R is the proper bulb tho. Many places you can order online.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ions, I appreciate it
Has anyone purchased recently? I am looking for a set of decent ones at a good price from a dependable source

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

I went there and selected D2R and now it is asking for color. Not sure what to choose? What did you choose?

How hard are these to install?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Very easy to install.

most go for 4500K, 5000K or 6000K, anything higher you will lose visibility and it will look like fake HID and you might get pulled over.

bulb color chart.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have been very helpful and I appreciate it. One final question and then I think I am ready to pull the trigger

If I wanted to match stock brightness or just take it up one notch what would be the best choice of color? 6000?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I have 6000K and they work/look great. When I ordered from DDM since the bulbs were cheap I bought both 4500 and 6000 and prefer the 6000 myself. I had a pair of 8000 but it was too bluish for me and I lost some light output.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Stock D2R for the HID version of Volvo (at least for 2004-2007) is 4300k.

I, out of habbit of all my cars, get 6k bulbs, I like the slight blue and looks the same brightness to me - even though 4300 is brighter according to charts.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Just had and solved the same problem. I got basic Sylvanias and they're great even though they were $99 or so each.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I ordered a pair of 4500k D2S (no shroud on the bulb) for $60 delivered and they throw a LOT of light. The lack of shroud doesn't seem to be an issue since the headlights have their own fixed upper shroud built in, although there is one weird 'hot spot' in the focus pattern on the right side.

As other posts have mentioned, if the headlight out issue stays despite replacing and/or swapping the bulbs (a 5-minute job once you are used to it) then you likely have a bad ballast. As I know from experience with some aftermarket units, if the ballasts start to fail they can get-more-and-more heat sensitive, shutting down more quickly as the engine compartment heats up.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
If it is indeed the ballast, then you likely have a leaking ballast seal. The ballast is located below the housing, and normally the weather gasket on them is good enough to keep the water out. However, once the seal breaks water and moisture seaps in and does a bit of corrosion damage to the board. Luckily, if the ballast is shutting off and on, it's likely still working and completely repairable:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?151421-Xenon-help
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?147063-Headlight-Ballast-Changing-Fun

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Mine did this 2 nights ago. Turned the headlights off and back on and it went away and hasn't come back yet. Might be something to do with the cold weather too. I'll just have to keep on eye on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts