SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago my passage side h.i.d. bulb blew. I picked another one up and changed it in the parking lot.

2 weeks later my drivers side blew. I have waited awhile, but the days are getting short. I bought another h.i.d. at Napa. Later that night iI tried putting it in. No go. Pulled it out, I realized the ceramic was broken. Went to auto zone and got another thinking it may have just been that. Plugged it in. Nothing.

Pulled all my fuses. All are good. Noticed a little burn on the balast. So I ordered a "new to me" balast on ebay. Plugged it in with the new bulb, and still nothing. What do I do?

When the "bad" bulb blew, it was actually broken. I can't follow it but the wires all seem secure. What the hell do I do? Advice please.

Registered
check for power at the plug going into the ballast, then check the plug going from the ballast going into the bulb. Are you getting a message in the DIM?

Registered
You mentioned that part of the ballast was burned. Are you certain that the part you're referring to is the ballast, and not the igniter? The ballast is screwed into the bottom face of the headlamp assembly with four screws. You can't get to it without removing the headlamp from the car. The igniter is the oval shaped socket that your bulb is plugged into.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the igniter. Not the balast. I will have to have a friend with a voltage meter come over. I swapped that though and still nothing. :-/

Registered
Yes the igniter. Not the balast. I will have to have a friend with a voltage meter come over. I swapped that though and still nothing. :-/
Then so far you've replaced the bulb and the igniter with no luck. I'd say that assuming that your wiring and connectors look good, your ballast is probably shot. Erie Vovo will sell you a used one with a lifetime warranty.

Registered
Be careful to only measure the input lines to the ballast. The igniter lines and bulb connector are too much for a regular voltmeter and you might get the dead....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll contact them. Pain in the ass. It went out after a rain storm. I'll check it tonight. I appreciate alll the help. I'll post the results.

Registered
Are the headlights steamed up on the inside if so that can blow the ballasts also if any water got in it will get inside the ballast unit as it's so low in the headlamp.

Registered
Then so far you've replaced the bulb and the igniter with no luck. I'd say that assuming that your wiring and connectors look good, your ballast is probably shot. Erie Vovo will sell you a used one with a lifetime warranty.
Yup, I like that dealio from them since it allowed me to buy a guaranteed alarm module for less than half of a new one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, no steam or moisture. I wonder if it had to do with my accident. Maybe. Had a white ford Fiesta back into the drivers door. Might have caused it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts