SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a mod or part that allows the foglights on a 1998 XC to be switched on independantly of the headlights?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You mean having the fogs on with the headlamps off? I presume you have a US spec XC with daytime running lights that automatically turn on headlamps with ignition?<P>Rob<P><BR><P>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, that is what I mean, and your presumption is correct. Is there a way to disable the daytime running lights?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yes, there is a way to disable the DRL's. In the older 850/960's there was a little screw right next to the headlight switch that you could turn in order to turn off the DRL's. I am not sure if the 70-series cars have this or not.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pape:<BR><B>Is there a way to disable the daytime running lights?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, the S70's can disable the DRLs. As Drew says there is a small screw head next to the headlight switch that can be clicked to three different positions. Your manual will tell you which ones do what but you can just try them out to see.<P>Eric<BR>

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went out and checked our 98 V70 XC. There is a small screw head that you can use to turn the day time lights on so they are always on when the ignition switch is on. There does not seem any way to have only the fog lights on without the low beams being on. I would love to find a switch similar to the VW that allows the Fog Light to be on separate of the head lights. Anyone?<BR>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJpappe:<BR><B>I went out and checked our 98 V70 XC. I would love to find a switch similar to the VW that allows the Fog Light to be on separate of the head lights. Anyone?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm not sure about the XC but I think that is not the way it is wired. The headlights have to be on for the fogs to be on. The only way around is rewire the switch.<P>Your from Woodinville? If you have lived there for any time you probably saw my Volvo (dark gray wagon with all the blue stuff on it)<BR>

·
Registered
11 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pape:<BR><B>Is there a mod or part that allows the foglights on a 1998 XC to be switched on independantly of the headlights?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Usually the fog light relay is wired such that the ground is a "switched groud" using the high beam positive as the ground which cuts out the lights when the high beam is on (effectively cutting out the ground, hence "switched ground"). The power source comes from the low beam source so you cannot turn them on w/o the low beams. <P>Using a wiring diagram, I was able to change the ground on my `93 Talon to a peranent one. I simply took that wire and, well, grounded it. I left the power supply in tact so fogs could only come on with headlights to avoid leaving them on accidentally, but you could change that source from switched to constant too, provided you get the aforementioned wiring diagram.<P>But I will warn you, I had a switch go bad on my years ago (not the talon) and the fogs came on, all by themselves, with the car parked at a train station for 10 hours. Very funny to get off the train and see your car "looking at you" with lights on. Can you say Christine?<P>A crowd gathered around becasue some old man walking his dog came over to say they came on first thing in the morning... suffice it to say, DIE HARD was a die hard that day. STARTED RIGHT UP! Replaced the switch though.<P>Just my .02<P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts