SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left headlight is going out when I am under moderate acceleration like this morning getting on the highway. The left headlight bulb has been going out on and off for about a week now and it is really weird. Now it will only do it when I am under acceleration (about half throttle) and I think that it was doing it before on and off in the mornings.

I have looked around the forum and this issue seems to have cropped up before... it looks like there are a couple of different situations that have come up:

could be the ballast?
could be wiring loose?
could be headlight switch?

I am going to check out the connections after work tonight if I get a free couple of mins. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Try removing and reinserting the bulb itself. Make sure the contacts are good going back in.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
My left headlight is going out when I am under moderate acceleration like this morning getting on the highway. The left headlight bulb has been going out on and off for about a week now and it is really weird. Now it will only do it when I am under acceleration (about half throttle) and I think that it was doing it before on and off in the mornings.

I have looked around the forum and this issue seems to have cropped up before... it looks like there are a couple of different situations that have come up:

could be the ballast?
could be wiring loose?
could be headlight switch?

I am going to check out the connections after work tonight if I get a free couple of mins. Any suggestions?:confused:

Welcome to my ****************** World

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after checking the connections everything is very sound. I could not get the light to fliker on and off jiggling wires and the headlight. I opened everything up and it is all good. I wonderif it is just that brand of light that will flicker when it is on it's way out.

They are aftermarket headlight bulbs, not the stock bi-xeon... so I am not sure they will turn that pinkish color when they are fading out...

I guess I could spend the 70-80 bucks on a new pair of lights... and see if that does the trick?

Where is my headlight switch located and how much are those to replace?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Well after checking the connections everything is very sound. I could not get the light to fliker on and off jiggling wires and the headlight. I opened everything up and it is all good. I wonderif it is just that brand of light that will flicker when it is on it's way out.

They are aftermarket headlight bulbs, not the stock bi-xeon... so I am not sure they will turn that pinkish color when they are fading out...

I guess I could spend the 70-80 bucks on a new pair of lights... and see if that does the trick?

Where is my headlight switch located and how much are those to replace?
70-80!?! No way... $15
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-Bulb-Replacements-Pair D2R at 4k or 5k comes as a pair

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Had a similar issue that I fixed, but in my infinite wisdom accidentally pulled a plug or fuse to the auto leveling motor. Now my driver side headlight is a lot lower than the passenger side. Is the only way to fix it to use VIDA/DICE?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Just ripped apart my headlights today and I urge any and everyone with headlight issues to check their ballasts as I had one very corroded ballast which I soaked in alcohol with hopes that it is now fixed however I won't know until the silicone is dry. I also swapped bulbs from each side and plan on replacing those this week when DDM decides to hurry up with shipping. I hope this fixes it as I have spent ALOT of time today troubleshooting...If the bulb symptoms switch from left to right than I know it is indeed the bulbs otherwise I'll let you know ballast wise.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice pictures, I just ordered new bulbs through DDM I am hoping that fixes my issues

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One question about the DDM tuning bulbs posted above. Got these in the mail finally and they def do not fit as a direct replacement. Did you guys re wire the headlights to fit these, wth?

Anyway, I think I will be just ordering the direct replacement as I cannot find the aftermarket brighter ones for the life of me that I installed 2 years ago. I think it is the bulb beacuse the one that flickers is not as bright as the one that is good. It takes about 5 mins of driving before they start to flicker... could be something to do with temps and the aftermarket ones burn brighter than stock.
Will be thinking of just replacing the stock ones back in there.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
One question about the DDM tuning bulbs posted above. Got these in the mail finally and they def do not fit as a direct replacement. Did you guys re wire the headlights to fit these, wth?
The DDM Tuning bulbs are DIRECT REPLACEMENTS...At least the D2R are. I can confirm that your issue lies within the bulbs as if the issue were the ballast the light would remain off until power cycled. I replaced mine and all flickering while driving and turning has stopped completely.

The D2R bulbs look like this:

(Credit to qwkbrk)

Please refer to his thread which goes over replacement using the DDM Tuning Bulb that is DIRECT replacement:
Click Me, I'm a sexy little Link.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,397 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya I had a pair of 6000k ones in now... I forget where I got them.. not from DDM though. They were a different brand... must just be the way they start to go out as the OEM ones will start to turn pink when they are fading. I took them out today and the middle part of the bulb was cloudy so it just needs replaced.

I am just going to put OEM back in.. I am selling the caR soon so it will all be good. :O

1 - 19 of 19 Posts