SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon folks. I have a favor to ask.
I have a 04 v70 non R. I do have xenon headlights.

I replaced my bulbs and now I have a hot spot on right side.

This is left side

I would like to see others beam pattern with xenon lights. I am going nuts trying to make it proper.

Thanks
Mladen.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure they are seated in the housing correctly also. Straight in the light diffuser and locked into position straight.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did change both with same king. They are seated properly. I made sure by removing the housing and playing with them.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I could post mine, but US headlights usually have different beam pattern.

Also if you use cheap bulbs, it can cause hotspots and glare. The arc that xenon produces isnt situated in the same place in cheap bulbs. And you get less glare if you use D2R bulbs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could post mine, but US headlights usually have different beam pattern.

Also if you use cheap bulbs, it can cause hotspots and glare. The arc that xenon produces isnt situated in the same place in cheap bulbs. And you get less glare if you use D2R bulbs.
Please do. They are d2r bulb Morimo xb35.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Morimoto should be decent. I will take a pic

·
Registered
200 Posts
the beams are asymmetrical ... that's why the headlights for LHD and RHD cars are not interchangeable. If you look at the pattern of light cast on a dark flat road (with low beams) you will see a notch of darkness where the oncoming driver's eyes would be, and that the right beam projects up where road signs would be.
In your photo, that dark area to the left of your right headlamp is to protect the oncoming drivers eyes.
The left headlamp is more broad but flatter.
Right headlamp is a bit higher and off to the right so you can catch a glimpse of the deer that will momentarily be in your lap.

Your "hot spot" may be completely normal, you just did not notice it before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your are absolutely correct. I remeber something in the owners manual, and a template for converting lh and rh driver headlights. UK vehicles and other lh driver roads have to do this.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
the beams are asymmetrical ... that's why the headlights for LHD and RHD cars are not interchangeable. If you look at the pattern of light cast on a dark flat road (with low beams) you will see a notch of darkness where the oncoming driver's eyes would be, and that the right beam projects up where road signs would be.
In your photo, that dark area to the left of your right headlamp is to protect the oncoming drivers eyes.
The left headlamp is more broad but flatter.
Right headlamp is a bit higher and off to the right so you can catch a glimpse of the deer that will momentarily be in your lap.

Your "hot spot" may be completely normal, you just did not notice it before.
This beam pattern might be correct for US, but real assymmetry like here in europe the beam pattern is very different.
This a typical EU spec headlight pattern:
Not my car. Just a random pic.

Another pic to explain difference.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Completely normal. My beam pattern is the same. It is not symmetrical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot guys. I ordered new philips bulbs since I damaged the glass on one of the morimitos.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This beam pattern might be correct for US, but real assymmetry like here in europe the beam pattern is very different.
This a typical EU spec headlight pattern:

Another pic to explain difference.

Ah, thanks for that ... I thought the low beams would be the same for US and EU ... that up & to the right pattern is great for spotting lurking killer deer.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised we are not in the top ten, but then again we keep most of our population here in CO in a couple of megalopolises so they have less chance on running over all the fauna they have displaced. Judging by that list lots of sprawl and roadways are big contributors to the issue.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Its the internet. You start watching food making tutorials and end up seeing videos about girls and cups and whatnot...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm curious how one goes about switching from US to EU low beams? Going even 55 mph on back roads here I feel like im driving beyond the light & it's really difficult to see down.the road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts