SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Morpheus 
#1 ·
Asked the dealer to change my settings so that the headlamps will flash on lock and unlock - they are telling me that it's not possible to have that option with the Bi-Xenon headlamps on the S60Rs. Anyone here in the U.S. have this option?

#2 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (Thesaurrex)

Quote, originally posted by Thesaurrex »
Asked the dealer to change my settings so that the headlamps will flash on lock and unlock - they are telling me that it's not possible to have that option with the Bi-Xenon headlamps on the S60Rs. Anyone here in the U.S. have this option?

It's not the headamps that flash, it's the turn signals & indicators. It should be a no brainer for any dealer with access to VADIS. Might cost you though, unless you have an '06 that's within the first 7,500 miles.

#5 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (awdnut)

Quote, originally posted by awdnut »
Dealer activated the light flash on locking but the they cannot activate flash on unlocking. Dealer called the Volvo rep and got confirmation that they cannot flash on unlock on my 05 V70R

I have the flash of the turnsignals on both lock and unlock on my '05 V70R. My local dealer did this, no problem.

If this is what you want, ask your dealer to look again at the Vadis/Vida screens.

#6 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (Lead Foot 60)

I believe this what you're referring to:

Allows you to add or remove the visual confirmation signal to your car. This function makes the car's direction indicators flash once on locking if all doors are closed, and twice on unlocking.

Function for Automatic locking / add

S80 01- 8637 408-9

S60 8637 412-1

V70 01- 8637 410-5

My dealer changed this for free during a scheduled oil change. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#7 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (TexasV70R)

Is there a setting to 'chirp' the horn? Funny thing about locking the car, I'm usually walking away from it at the time, not towards it, so the 'visual' cue of the flashing lights is pretty useless most of the time as my back is to the car. My GMC chirps its horn, and it's a lot more convenient, not to mention that it's an easy way to find my car in a parking structure ... just hit the lock button within a couple hundred feet and the audible feedback is much more useful than lights.

#8 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (roadking)

Quote, originally posted by roadking »
Is there a setting to 'chirp' the horn? Funny thing about locking the car, I'm usually walking away from it at the time, not towards it, so the 'visual' cue of the flashing lights is pretty useless most of the time as my back is to the car. My GMC chirps its horn, and it's a lot more convenient, not to mention that it's an easy way to find my car in a parking structure ... just hit the lock button within a couple hundred feet and the audible feedback is much more useful than lights.

Nope, outta luck, been discussed before.

If you want to find your car in the lot, hit the panic button. You'll find it fast!

#9 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (Lead Foot 60)

Wether or not it's technically possible, the factory rep in my area intructed my dealer not to do it (on my XC90) due to safety concerns. They claim they don't want potential trouble-makers (car-jacker, thieves, etc) to know that your vehicle has been unlocked and sneak into before you get there.
Sound crazy? Maybe, but that's what they said to me.

LTA

#10 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
Wether or not it's technically possible, the factory rep in my area intructed my dealer not to do it (on my XC90) due to safety concerns. They claim they don't want potential trouble-makers (car-jacker, thieves, etc) to know that your vehicle has been unlocked and sneak into before you get there.
Sound crazy? Maybe, but that's what they said to me.

LTA

Ok, that makes NO sense. On all 2006's, part of the 7,500 mile service is for the dealer to review all the changes that can be made (seat heater levels, mirror sensitivity, fash on unlock, auto lock & unlock) and to offer them to the customers at no charge.

Now why would they do that, but the area rep doesn't want to for safety reasons? Totally bogus. Call VCNA and complained.

I hate dealers that dont know anything.

#11 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

Ok, that makes NO sense. On all 2006's, part of the 7,500 mile service is for the dealer to review all the changes that can be made (seat heater levels, mirror sensitivity, fash on unlock, auto lock & unlock) and to offer them to the customers at no charge.

Now why would they do that, but the area rep doesn't want to for safety reasons? Totally bogus. Call VCNA and complained.

I hate dealers that dont know anything.

Don't bang to hard

Maybe it's a Canadian thing since I know they said off the record that I could get it done across the border. You know, us Canucks tend to err on the side of caution more than ya'll do across the border.

LTA

#13 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (roadking)

Quote, originally posted by roadking »
just hit the lock button within a couple hundred feet and the audible feedback is much more useful than lights.
On my Tahoe, you can lock/unlock from about 2-300 feet away!

Best remote I have ever had.

#14 ·
the dealer should have a list of these "options" provided whn you take delivery. My salesman was good but I wish I had this cause I am sure many opeople did not even realize things like this, 5mph door locking, heat seat temp, etc.

Not meaning to rant just a thought. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#15 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (Eric_H)

Quote, originally posted by Eric_H »

On my Tahoe, you can lock/unlock from about 2-300 feet away!

Best remote I have ever had.

Plus (assuming it is like my Denali), you can program your setting, such flashing of lights different horn settings (such as one beep for lock or 2 for unlock, etc). Not only that, I can program it differently for my wife with the second remote.
I hope the next generation S60 gets these things updated along with the number one irritation I have with my R (and really pretty much my only irritation) those dumba$$ memory seats. I now have to lock my car if my wife uses her remote, than she has to lock the car when she uses it so that the memory seats work (inside my own g-damn garage)

Who green lighted such an idiotic system

#16 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (flybynight)

Ok thought i had cleared up the whole lock/unlock turn signal flash thing but now the dealer saying that 2005 s60r doesn't have the ability to flash turn signals on unlock (only flashes once on lock). Anyone have this option on an 05 s60r?

#17 ·

Quote, originally posted by Thesaurrex »
Ok thought i had cleared up the whole lock/unlock turn signal flash thing but now the dealer saying that 2005 s60r doesn't have the ability to flash turn signals on unlock (only flashes once on lock). Anyone have this option on an 05 s60r?

You're not going to Danbury Volvo, are you? The same place that told me this morning that no TNN existed for brake squeals?

I....Hate....Stupid / Lazy....dealer....service.....reps

#18 ·

I have an '05 S60R and it flashes turn signals once for lock, and twice for unlock. I don't know what the hell your dealer is talking about, but they clearly don't know anything about after-care.

#19 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

You're not going to Danbury Volvo, are you? The same place that told me this morning that no TNN existed for brake squeals?

I....Hate....Stupid / Lazy....dealer....service.....reps

Stay away....far away.

These are the guys that made me decide to finally learn how to do most maintenance/repairs on my car. If only I had my own VADIS system.....

#20 ·

To those with this issue:

Inform your retailer to log into VRCC. Under parts, select the parts catalog. Click on the model of the vehicle (S60 or V70). Click on "Comfort." Then at the bottom of that list, click on "Added or altered car functions." On the next page that opens, click on "Technical data."

That lists all the available functions and software numbers.

I copied the full text of the document and inserted it here for reference. Note, I put in bold the section that specifically deals with visual locking confirmation.

It IS possible to have your vehicle flash parking lights TWICE on unlock, and ONCE on lock. As long as you've got a P2 S60/V70, it doesn't matter what year your car is, you can get this.

Volvo S40/V40 S80/S60/V70 > Comfort > Added or altered car functions > Added or altered car functions

Added or altered car functions
S80, S60, V70 00-

Function for 2 stage unlocking (US/CA-functionality)1

S80 9499 637-8
S60 8645 453-5

V70 00- 9452 950-0

Function for Direct unlocking (EU-functionality)¹

S80 9499 636-0
S60 8645 452-7

V70 00- 9452 949-2

Allows you to change the unlocking function of your car.

One-stage unlocking means that all doors and the tailgate/boot lid are unlocked by a press the UNLOCK button on the remote control once. 2 stage unlocking means that the first press on the remote control UNLOCK button will unlock the driver's door only. A second press is required to unlock the remaining doors.

To date cars built for the US and Canada have been supplied with 2 stage unlocking. Cars built for other countries are supplied with one-stage unlocking.

Function for Visual confirmation signal / add

S80 9499 397-9
S60 8645 450-1

V70 9452 947-6

Function for Visual confirmation signal / remove

S80 9499 398-7
S60 8645 451-9

V70 9452 948-4

Allows you to add or remove the visual confirmation signal to your car. This function makes the car's direction indicators flash once on locking if all doors are closed, and twice on unlocking.

Function for Automatic locking / add

S80 01- 8637 408-9

S60 8637 412-1

V70 01- 8637 410-5

Function for Automatic locking / remove

S80 01- 8637 409-7

S60 8637 413-9

V70 01- 8637 411-3

Makes it possible to retrofit or remove the automatic locking function in your car. This function automatically locks the doors in the normal way (not deadlocking) when vehicle speed exceeds 7 km/h. If the doors are unlocked using the central locking button while the car is moving they remain unlocked until the ignition key is removed from the ignition switch. If the door is opened from the inside, when exiting the car for example, the door is locked again when the vehicle speed exceeds 7km/h.

An open door will not be locked. The doors are not unlocked automatically when the speed falls below 7 km/h.

Function for Alarm activation / Deactivation via door lock / add

S80 9499 266-6
S60 8645 448-5

V70 00- 9452 945-0

Function for Alarm activation / Deactivation via door lock / remove

S80 9499 267-4
S60 8645 449-3

V70 00- 9452 946-8

Makes it possible to retrofit or remove the alarm activation / Deactivation function via the door locks in your car. The function makes it possible to activate/deactivate the car's alarm via the door locks.

Function for High seat heater temperature 36-43°C

S80 8651 379-3
S60 8651 381-9

V70 00- 8651 380-1

Function for Medium seat heater temperature 32-38°C

S80 8651 382-7
S60 8651 384-3

V70 00- 8651 383-5

Function for Low seat heater temperature 28-35°C

S80 8651 385-0
S60 8651 387-6

V70 00- 8651 386-8

Allows the seat heating in your car to be readjusted. The temperatures stated are approximate and specify low and high comfort levels. Cars built for northern Europe are normally delivered with 30-36°C as low and high comfort levels.

Important
This function reduces the level of anti-theft security, since it opens up an additional method of deactivating the alarm. This function is not approved by the insurance companies in SE, NO, FI, DK, NL, BE, FR, UK. Find out what rules apply for your insurance.

For cars without Deadlocks.

Volvo Accessories Home

#21 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (R Salesman)

Lee - thanks for the run-through i'll print this out (w/out your name of course) to show to the dealer. For those interested in CT i've been to Danbury Volvo, Simsbury (Mitchell) Volvo and most recently Stamford Volvo (where they've been telling me that these functions are not doable) and other than this lighting issue the guys in Stamford have been pretty good about everything...

-thes

#22 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (flybynight)

Yes, Fly...quite a stupid system.
When I picked my R up, and was getting the 'grand tour' he showed me how to set up the memory.
Same with having to hold the buttons to move the seats.
I told him it was a shame they couldn't have at least improved those features since out 01 2.4T.

#23 ·
Re: Headlamp flash on lock/unlock w/Bi-Xenon (R Salesman)

OK, I went back to my dealer again to have this visual confirmation on unlocking since I already have the once blink on locking. Just like before, it cannot be done. The dealer did not charge me since it was using the same download that was already acquired earlier during my delivery.

During the first set-up (at delivery by the dealer back in 2005) we tried this already and it failed (only the one blink on lock works). They called the Volvo hotline and it was confirmed that it would not work on my car.

Maybe this twice blink on unlocking will only work on certain VIN cut-off.

FYI my car is a 05 V70R (December 04 built in Belgium)

The defeat of the auto headlight turn on works though. I chose to go with FlexStd set-up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.