SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been running a stage 2 RICA tune on my 04 VR for about 8 months with a Phuz DP. Prior to installing the DP, I was running the stage 1 RICA tune for about 4 months.

When I was initially trying to decide which tune to purchase I found it difficult to find any dyno results from the same dyno for similarly modified cars running the various tunes that were available.

I found this frustrating.

As such, when the last group buy for the Autotech tune came up, I bought a stage 2 tune and I'm scheduled to dyno my car on December 6th or 7th (depending on weather - if there's snow on the ground the car has to sit inside at the tuner's overnight before it can go on the dyno).

I'm going to dyno the car in three configurations: autotech tune, rica tune, stock tune.

I'm going to dyno in this order: 3 pulls on the autotech tune, flash to rica tune, drive for 20 minutes on the dyno to allow all adaptations to take place for the rica tune, 3 pulls on the rica tune, flash to the stock tune, 3 pulls on the stock tune.

I have a second 02 bung in my downpipe and will be collecting wideband AFR data directly from there, rather than the less accurate tail-pipe sniffing method. I'll have them "T" into my current boost gauge connection, so they'll be able to get boost readings too.

I'll be dynoing at KVR performance ( http://www.kvrperformance.com ) on an AWD Mustang dyno.

My plan is to run in AWD mode for all pulls, with the airbox cover removed.

The only issue that I see at this point is that apparently KVR isn't sure whether or not they're going to be able to provide me with an electronic copy of the raw data results for all of the runs, so that I can plot it all out myself later on. This would allow me to superimpose any subsets of data and I think would make the final analysis a lot better (for example, I could easily calculate the vaunted "area under the curve" numbers for each tune).

At this point, they can only guarantee that they can provide a paper printout for each of any three consecutive runs, which means that in order to get a single paper prinout that includes results for autotech, rica and stock, I would have to do single runs with each tune back-to-back.

Here's the current setup of my car: Phuz DP, EST exhaust, K&N filter, custom 3" intake pipe, Viva HD CBV, IPD HD-TCV, all new volvo plugs and all new volvo coils within the last 5k miles.

I wish that I had had the time this summer (or even last summer!) to install the PhMIC that's been sitting in my basement for two years, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I'll be running on Sunoco 94 octane gas.

This is all going to turn out to be a fairly expensive experiment, but hopefully it will yield some useful data.

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?

As a preliminary note, my butt-dyno indicates that the autotech tune is more aggressive than the rica tune, and more consistent in terms of boost. I'm regularly seeing 22-24 psi of boost on the autotech tune. I was seeing 19-22 psi with the rica tune and it didn't seem as consistent and seemed to build slower. In particular, if I floored it in 4th gear with the rica tune, I would commonly see boost jump immediately to 16 psi and then climb somewhat slower to 18-20 psi as the revs built up. If I were to let off briefly and then floor it again boost would immediately spike back up to 19-22 psi. With the autotech tune boost immediately jumps to 22-24 psi when full throttle is first applied in the same scenario.

The timing advance on the autotech tune also seems to be more aggressive, as even out of boost the car seems more responsive to throttle input.

Cheers,

Jeff

EDIT: Added Viva HD CBV and IPD HD-TCV to my list of mods

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that I'm also going to inquire about doing 1/4 mile runs on the dyno for each tune so that we can get trap speeds (obviously they won't accurately predict actual 1/4 mile times due to the lack of wind resistance, but the trap speeds at 1/4 mile should still be enlightening).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Great stuff!
Do the runs as planned, properly, don't worry about raw data. SWedespeed community can help convert printed paper data to EXcel.
I'll volunteer to manually convert one graph. Should be 5-10 mins work for each conversion to excel or raw data.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
man, you either know someone, or that is gonna be pricey. Can't wait to see the results though!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I wish that I had had the time this summer to install the PhMIC that's been sitting in my basement for two years...
Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?
Jeff- make the time to install your IC! With your comparisons, obviously there will be marked differences in having a phront mount.
Good luck with this project; looking forward to the results.
Scott

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott,

I really do wish I had the time to install the IC. However, the ambient temps will probably be below freezing, so hopefully that will mitigate a bit of the heat-soak issue.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Jeff - This is awesome!
This will be veRy interesting and a great reference!

I'm hoping the Autotech tune comes out on top.
I'm not likely to give any money to RICA after reading about their customer service.

Hope everything goes smooth!
Cheers!
Ron

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff - This is awesome!
This will be veRy interesting and a great reference!

I'm hoping the Autotech tune comes out on top.
I'm not likely to give any money to RICA after reading about their customer service.

Hope everything goes smooth!
Cheers!
Ron
Ron,

I must admit that my customer service experience with RICA through Frank at EST doesn't match up with the recently reported issues that Torkey and volvoracer are experiencing.

While RICA was a bit slow in responding when I ran into issues when I first installed my stage 2 tune, they were very helpful in producing multiple versions of my tune in an attempt to cure a hesitation that I was having at 3500 RPM, which was ultimately only cured by taking my R into the dealership to get the Volvo ECU update (which I should have done in the first place!). That said, my purchase experience with Peter at Autotech and Don at Elevate has been absolutely first rate so far.

One major plus to the RICA tuning system is that the hardware connector that my RICA PPC uses to connect to the OBD2 port is much better than the connector on the Autotech APC tuning unit. The connector on the Autotech APC tuning unit seems to just barely be able to maintain a secure connection to the OBD2 port and about 50% of the time will report an error that it can't communicate with the vehicle (wiggling the connector has solved this problem every time).

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Very interesting stuff, I (and a bunch of other folks I imagine) will be following this thread with great interest

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
This is a really cool idea, through and through. I'm looking forward to reading about the results! I also would like to know, though, why did you skip out on IPD/MTE? Was the rumor of a more conservative tune enough to steer you away?

I must admit that my customer service experience with RICA through Frank at EST doesn't match up with the recently reported issues that Torkey and volvoracer are experiencing.
I wonder if the Rica responses are all sitting in their (customer's) spam folders. IIRC, this was an issue for many people at first as well - and I think one of the Rica responses fell into my spam folder too. For everyone's sake, I hope the problem is exactly this simple. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Soups, you sharing this is a great service to the "R" community and we should be contributing to reduce your expenses for this, if even $5 each "R" owner, as we will all benefit from your efforts.
cheers

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see several people are curious why I haven't chosen the IPD/MTE tune, and it really comes down to two things: timing and price.

When I was first shopping around for a tune, the MTE tune (through IPD) and the RICA tune (through Viva and EST) were really the only two viable options at that time, because there was no stage 2 tune available from BSR (and I knew I would be installing a DP) and the Powerchips tune available through Evolve was garbage (from what I've read).

The MTE tune and the RICA tune were priced very similarly, but the incremental cost to upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 on the MTE tune was extremely high (I think it was $495 at the time, may be different now), whereas EST and Viva advertised a $100 fee for stage upgrades. I couldn't really find any conclusive data that convinced me that the MTE tune was better than the RICA tune, so I bought my RICA tune through Frank at EST and I bought it as part of a package deal with my EST exhaust.

Frank gave me a very reasonable price on the package and agreed to allow me to run the stage 1 tune for as long as I wanted before finally getting around to installing the Phuz DP and upgrading to the stage 2 tune. After 4 months I installed the DP and exhaust and upgraded to the stage 2 RICA tune free of charge (I didn't have to pay the usual $100 fee for this). Buying through EST also had the advantage of avoiding brokerage and customs fees because I live in Canada. I also avoided shipping fees on the exhaust because I picked it up from Frank at the EST office on a trip down to Toronto to visit some friends (This was a Sunday morning and they usually would have been closed, but Frank made a special trip out to the office and I got the opportunity to meet Frank's two boys, who were just as excited about my shiny new exhaust as I was).

This time around, I would have loved to test out the MTE tune versus the RICA tune, but the difference in price between the MTE tune and the GB price on the Autotech tune will cover most of the dyno costs, and several people have indicated that the Autotech tune is very strong, so I thought I would test it out.

Pending the outcome of this round of dyno testing, I wouldn't mind trying to figure out a way to get the MTE tune to test out in the same way. I don't think i would want to finance that completely myself, but maybe we can figure something out in the future.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What? No IPD/MTE tune? What a rip... ;)
I will be doing MTE Stage II dyno runs with everything short of an upgraded turbo and Stg III software. So I can refrence after I go to Stage III... So you can expect those numbers around around February. I want to do before and after runs on the same dyno to get accurate figures to share with everyone, (no butt dyno guessing :p).

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Soups, you sharing this is a great service to the "R" community and we should be contributing to reduce your expenses for this, if even $5 each "R" owner, as we will all benefit from your efforts.
cheers
As the comparison wouldn't make much difference to me, I will still support you as a member for what you're doing for yourself and moreso for the community that is on the edge of what tune will yield best results per dollar (bang for your buck).

I'll PayPal you a few bucks... $20.

Keoni.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Subscribe, yes please.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
As the comparison wouldn't make much difference to me, I will still support you as a member for what you're doing for yourself and moreso for the community that is on the edge of what tune will yield best results per dollar (bang for your buck).

I'll PayPal you a few bucks...

Keoni.
I would also be in for a 20 spot to help with the expenses once the results are posted

1 - 20 of 79 Posts