SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem and I wonder if anyone else has any similar problem/experience dealing with it. <p>I tried changing the default bulbs to the xenon gas filled bulbs and after a year of use, a problem arose. The connector cord (plug that connects with the bulb) for the passenger low beam light is melting and causing anybulb with 55V (stock ones are 51V I believe) or higher to either burn out fast or not turning on at all. This only happens to the passenger light and not the driver side light. The cord on that side is perfectly fine. When removing the bulb on the passenger side, there is a black substance in the connection point and smells like burnt battery acid (which I assume it is). I called the dealer and asked how much it would cost to replace the connector cord and they said it was around $40-$50. However, when I took the car in for service and asked them to change it, they said it would cost $300-$400. They reasoning for this is because they have to take the whole cord/harness out and replace it with a brand new one (major work when only one end requires replacing). Obviously I didn't have them change it. So now I'm looking for alternatives that aren't too costly. Does anyone know if any outside auto shops can just repair the connector / replace them at a lower cost? Or am I screwed and should think about getting HIDs/conversion kit? <p>(basically, the plastic connector which connects the bulb and the power in the light casing is melting/substantially deformed)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts