SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of you on here are against this. I know things should be done the right way and I'm all for that. But does anybody know if a head gasket sealer like Blue Devil can work to seal a head gasket or crack blocks is very minimal damage is done?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
It can not be sealed, its an expansion crack that is opened up by cylinder pressure, so what ever you put in the crack will just be chewed up and spit out by it. Think about it, metal has literally been ripped apart so its a bit much to assume some glue will do a better job of holding it together than solid metal did.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Your block is likely toast, no amount of snake oil will fix it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The stamped solid metal gaskets in the past often needed some sealant applied.
The composite ones had some areas where sealant could be used.
The MLS gaskets on the R's need nothing but flat surfaces and they seal. IF you add anything you may be harming the pre-printed sealant and make it fail and leak.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have used DuraSeal for a minor head gasket leak on a 2000 v70 and also used it for a stripped water pump bolt that had been helicoil and tapped into a water jacket on a 98v70. In both instances DuraSeal has done the job. Both cars have 7k and 10k respectively on them since the 'repair' and are doing fine. While doing the correct repair would have been nice sometimes you don't have the time or money.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I plead ignorance as the brands and what they are.
I have never used any cooling system sealers but I have made a lot of money repairing their damage to radiators and heater cores.
The newer products may have reduced risk of these side effects.

Newer heater cores and coolant-to-oil oil coolers, like used on our engines, have small passages and stop leaks plug them easily.
Combustion pressures on high output motors make the possibility of these products being able to stay in place very low.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
That's why I had trouble. I did it through the spark plug hole. DOH!!
yep , you have to really rub it in good and while you are there, use it to shim between the liners, once all that is done reassemble it all back aaaaand simply follow this to make coolant and then lill prayer...it should work! :D

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
yep , you have to really rub it in good and while you are there, use it to shim between the liners, once all that is done reassemble it all back aaaaand simply follow this to make coolant and then lill prayer...it should work! :D
Now, can you chew the Bazooka until all the sugar has come out of the gum and it becomes really stiff to chew, then use it to form a block guard to make the cylinder walls crack proof? ;)

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Now, can you chew the Bazooka until all the sugar has come out of the gum and it becomes really stiff to chew, then use it to form a block guard to make the cylinder walls crack proof? ;)
that's a must...sugar must be all chewed out and gone...i used it as a block-guard as well , I nicely reinforced the entire block and I am in middle of testing pushing close to 500hp at 30psi successfully...i will keep everyone posted about bazooka block guards as well.

a proof that bazooka chewing gum works .

·
Registered
383 Posts
So in the first thread you made, you asked if you could JB Weld or Epoxy the crack. Now you're asking about one of those "FIX ALL LEAKS" fluid they sell at autozone? What's next? Adding an egg to the coolant tank to seal the leak like a radiator?

Please come to terms with it. There's no magic fix for a cracked block/head gasket. If it's only a head gasket, then just bite the bullet, pull the head and replace it. If it's a cracked block, look for other blocks. Sorry to say, but you bought an R. It's not always gonna be fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts