SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an HD oil pump to replace the original for my B20 build. I bought it through my vendor at work to save a few pennies. The retaining ring and upgraded pressure spring is either currently on back order from vendors or they are asking ridiculous money for them. My question is are these two upgrade parts industry secrets because they seem like stuff I can pick up at my local ACE Hardware yet there seems to be no info listed about them?! Does anyone know the dimensions of the bushing (I assume it's just a bronze bushing) or specifications of the spring (or alternatively what I should use to shim the stock spring)? Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am.

The spring is on back order, the reinforcement ring was on backorder and now I see is back in stock. I know some people also shim the factory spring as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If anyone needs a new oil pump in the future Melling Engine Parts in Michigan that has been in business for decades makes an excellent high-quality Volvo pump in cast iron instead of aluminum as Volvo did. You should be able to find one through a good auto parts store or engine parts supplier w/o any trouble.

Oil pumps pickup unfiltered oil in the pan and contaminates and dirt wear the Volvo pump body in time which ends up causing excessive gear end play, and the pump body also wears around the outside diameter of the gears, both wear areas cause low oil pressure. Melling pumps last much longer than the originals do and are often used in racing applications.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone needs a new oil pump in the future Melling Engine Parts in Michigan that has been in business for decades makes an excellent high-quality Volvo pump in cast iron instead of aluminum as Volvo did. You should be able to find one through a good auto parts store or engine parts supplier w/o any trouble.

Oil pumps pickup unfiltered oil in the pan and contaminates and dirt wear the Volvo pump body in time which ends up causing excessive gear end play, and the pump body also wears around the outside diameter of the gears, both wear areas cause low oil pressure. Melling pumps last much longer than the originals do and are often used in racing applications.
Do you have a part number handy or is this as simple as looking up by application?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts