SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad had a bad ball joint on his front control arm.. And usually it would take me a half hour to replace it, but I spent almost 2 hours to make him feel useful lol.. He had a heart transplant a few years ago and can't really work on his cars like he used to, so I let him do some of the work and figure stuff out. Anyone else use car repair as therapy?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hopefully the parent is always older. Therapy for whom....might want to try another tact. Tap into the years of knowledge he has stored, what little tricks did he use when he was doing all the work.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully the parent is always older. Therapy for whom....might want to try another tact. Tap into the years of knowledge he has stored, what little tricks did he use when he was doing all the work.
Well I mean older like senior citizen older. And yeah he gave me a great base to learn from, I'm not discrediting his experience, just his physical limitations from his heart problems and mental need to still be independent.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm 64 so I can relate to all of this as I reach that stage. More than independent we need to feel useful. So, don't focus on the can't but the still can. If it takes a bit longer than you've had the opportunity to spend more quality time with your dad. Some day those memories will be important to you.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah I've spent most of my life wrenching with my dad. He's the only reason I can afford to drive European cars haha. It reminded me of the time when he let me put the sparkplugs in my mom's Mustang when I was about 8, that was the first time I used a ratchet I think. He used to own a bicycle store so we used to build bikes together, cars, houses even. I like spending time with him so I'll go over there and give him a hand with whatever he's doing, and it's good for him too I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It's all good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts