SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had my TME sport springs and Koni adjustable shocks installed, and now Im pissed off. Maybe thats too strong a word for it, but check whats going on now. I mean, I cant do anything to this car without something complicating the matter. There is not enough clearance from the wheel to the fender edge. The Installer thinks my aftermarket wheels have the wrong off-set. Now I dont know much about these things, but Im learning quick how much I need to know. I let the wheel place order the ones they said I needed. So anyway, I drove home, it was an hours drive, and I havent had any rubbing yet, but still, I dont want to get new rims again. Anyway, anyone know anything about this sort of crap. Im not sure if the installers have done a lot of car lowering, so maybe everything is normal, but they have been working on Volvo's long enough, and they know of all the aftermarket companies, so I assume so. They have also dubbed me flyboy now, I dont like that, I dont even know these people that well. Oh and my car is now the lambovolvo. Right! Sorry, Im sorta venting, my dad and I dont see eye to eye on aftermarket stuff on cars. This is not helping my case with him, hehe. Is this the reason so many of you use the stock volvo rims, the offset?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: having a bad time (pj's 850)

yeah, that determines how far the center of the wheel is to the hub.

Well, how do you like the ride of your car?
you could always get rid of the springs, thats probably cheaper if you just HAVE to get new rims if you keep the springs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: having a bad time (xtremepsionic)

hehe, I like the springs though, I dont want to get rid of them. http://********************/smile/emsad.gif I'll figure something out. I have been looking on Tire Rack, were I got the rims, they seem to be recomending 7-8" off sets. I had the stock 16" turbo fan wheels, anyone know what the offset on those was. Was it 6.5, that would explain alot.

as for the ride, I have only driven the car one hour, I like it so far though. Its def. harder, a lot harder, I now feel those bumps more, but its not harsh. Infact it seems less harsh than it was before. If that makes sense, that it can be harder and less harsh. Bumps arent as jarring I guess, they just all seem bigger. I found out my rear nivomats had leaks and were not functioning properly. Man that was such a bad idea on Volvo's part, or maybe not a bad idea, but whoever was the OEM supplier or inventor of that product, its reliability sucks. I have never heard good things about them.

·
Registered
625 Posts

ok, I found info on the wheel offets for a 850
its on volvo tuning.com btw

for 7J rims 43mm
7.5J 37mm
8J 36mm

you can do +- 2mm and be safe

what kinda rims do you have right now?
Did you sell your turbo wheels?

·
Registered
4,395 Posts

quote:

hehe, I like the springs though, I dont want to get rid of them. http://********************/smile/emsad.gif I'll figure something out. I have been looking on Tire Rack, were I got the rims, they seem to be recomending 7-8" off sets. I had the stock 16" turbo fan wheels, anyone know what the offset on those was. Was it 6.5, that would explain alot.

as for the ride, I have only driven the car one hour, I like it so far though. Its def. harder, a lot harder, I now feel those bumps more, but its not harsh. Infact it seems less harsh than it was before. If that makes sense, that it can be harder and less harsh. Bumps arent as jarring I guess, they just all seem bigger. I found out my rear nivomats had leaks and were not functioning properly. Man that was such a bad idea on Volvo's part, or maybe not a bad idea, but whoever was the OEM supplier or inventor of that product, its reliability sucks. I have never heard good things about them.
Yea I know, my rear supension on my R is totally broken http://********************/smile/emsad.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif The left shock went crazy, and it is an inch higher than the right one. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: having a bad time (Kaizai)

Ok well I have Mille Miglia Evo's in a 16" size. I believe the width is 7", but I cant find the actual offset numbers, for one thing they stopped making this model I believe. I think mine was actually the Evo Sport, because it has the fake two piece bolts. Im gonna guess my Offset is off by more than 2 degrees, but I had trouble finding any wheels that would fall into that range. As for the OEM Turbo Fan wheels, I still have them, they have the winter Tires on them. I sold my old steel winter tires because they rusted out and it seemed more sensible to use alloys in the winter. I decided that I wanted new wheels for summer, and I would use the Stock ones in the Winter. I went with 16" wheels because I wanted some sidewall. It seems funny now, I have the car lowered, but I got 16" rims so I would have some sidewall to protect the Rim. My town has a lot of pot holes after the winter, and a few of my fathers friends have had 17" rims dent on them from the pot holes. I dont completely agree with him, I mean a 40 or lower profile would not be smart, but I dont live in the area were the pot holes are bad. These guys live out on the oil and stone country roads and dont have paved driveways. Basicly I think I could have gotten away with 17" rims, but who knows what would happen them, it was even harder for me to find plus one rims that also had the correct offset, I think, I may not be looking correctly. Maybe I should sell the ones I have, warm potential buys not to lower their car, and get a set of 16" alloys for the summer from Volvo. They had some nice looking wheels, I would want something more open than the fan style, and I dont think I would go with the Tethy's or anything. I dont know?

However, I have been driving back and forth to Corning today a few times and thats about a half an hour drive each way, including some twisty hill roads, no problems yet. Its not the greatest weather to do such testing because its wet outside. I mean the traction control keeps kicking in, so I dont know for sure what Im hearing, but I dont think I heard or saw any rubbing at any point. I inspected the wheels, and I didnt see anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts