SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there tried one of those touch-up paint pens?

Have any of you tried one of those paint pens, like the one from Turtle Wax (forget the name of it) or the one in the banner above (Autovisuals' "AutoSharp Pen")? I have several small nicks in my hood and on the nose of the car, but my latest and greatest is a beauty. It's a horrible 2"-long gash from a rock the size of a grapefruit (eeek)! A dual gravel truck "spit" it up onto my hood last week. I was surprised that that was the only damage (knock on wood).

I just went to the Autovisuals website and didn't have any luck looking up "Silver Metallic 426", which is my S60's color. I'd like to try a pen to do some touch-ups rather than use the traditional touch-up paint I got at the dealership. I tried at my local auto parts store, and the guy had never heard of touch-up paint pens. (Sheesh.)

Anybody tried one of these pens? How did it turn out? Is your paint metallic? Any comments about how the flecks settled to the bottom or not? Thanks in advance.

[Modified by Lisa62, 6:05 PM 9-23-2002]

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Anybody out there tried one of those touch-up paint pens? (Lisa62)

I used one on my old base 855. I was not overly impressed. Actually, my friend who bought the car from me is over, I can go snap a shot of the touch-up spots. BRB!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Anybody out there tried one of those touch-up paint pens? (Kaizai)

Well, it just got dark, so its not the best time to take pictures. You can tell the spot was touched up, and it really doesn't make it look much better except if the spot was not a matching color. This spot was black/white after it was hit. (someone hit my car with something other than their door, because it totally messed up my window/door) So it was nice to get it back to color matched. While it really doesn't look a whole lot better when you look at the spot, it doesn't catch your eye as much now that it is color matched.

Also, I am not artist, someone with more skill could probably make it look better http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif I just wanted it to be the same color again, and it was for only $20 so for me it was worth it. There were a few other spots with the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Anybody out there tried one of those touch-up paint pens? (Kaizai)

OUCH!!! http://********************/smile/emcrook.gif This is nasty! It definitely needs body shop!

Yannis

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Anybody out there tried one of those touch-up paint pens?

I've been told that metallic paint is tough to touch up with a brush. The metallic flecks apparantly settle to the bottom of the liquid drop that you apply, which makes the touched up spot stand out visually. I was hoping to hear from any of who who'd tried the pen before going out and forking over $20 for one only to find that it doesn't work as advertised, you know?

Kai, thanks for the input above. BUT... I'm still fishing for pro- or anti-paint-pen experiences, because my nicks/scratches are much smaller than the ones you show above. (It looks like the issue of paint settling to the bottom of the painted area wasn't exactly your biggest problem!). http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif I'm hoping that if I fix the scratches properly, they'll be invisible to the naked eye, you know. Think that's do-able with a paint pen, or is the brush-with-liquid-paint a better choice?

Has anybody else tried one of these pens (on a smaller area, and with metallic paint)?

[Modified by Lisa62, 2:46 PM 9-25-2002]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts