SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving from California back to Canada and my PCV choked on me today. I can get it fixed in Portland, but I'm still 400 miles away. I had to drive a couple hundred miles with it clogged today. I've been doing what I can to keep vacuum/boost near 0, but obviously this is impossible all the time on a huge highway trip.

Should I be pulling the dipstick loose before I drive? Anything else I can do to help?

I'm in Brookings, OR, and travelling with an infant, so waiting around at an Indy and missing days and days of work isn't an option. I'm booked at the dealer in Portland Wednesday. Oddly enough I think that's where the original owner bought the car (that I bought second hand in Calgary)

Thanks for any help!

Btw I repaired the cracked upper hose. When it was broken, it didn't whistle. Should I just undo that repair?

·
Registered
560 Posts
If its building pressure in the crankcase, popping the dip stick loose will help keep it from blowing out the cam seals. Just keep an eye on the oil level in case it blows some out of the dip stick tube.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news! The car made it to Jim Fisher in Portland. Volvo of America won't cover it, as it's now a Canadian registered car. Jim Fisher is doing it goodwill. I'm very, very impressed by the effort they went to help me. I should be back on the road without any delay to the trip.

I drove the first day with the dipstick in. Hopefully I didn't blow any seals, but hey, I'll make it home, so if that happened, so be it.

·
Registered
560 Posts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts