SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 XC60 with about 100k miles on it. I need to have the blower motor replaced, and I know this requires removing the dashboard. If you had this done on your XC60, what did in cost? And were you able to have the work completed by an independent Volvo mechanic? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Didn't do it on a Volvo - did do it on a BMW X3. Major part of the work is disassembly/reassembly of the dash. IIRC, 6-8 hours of labor.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The cluster, glove box and a few things under dash are removed but no need for whole dash which would require full console removal. The blower motor twists in and locks like a bulb socket but does a require a special tool to grasp and twist it.
The instrument cluster side has the latch tab but it comes out to the right.
There is a great video on youtube found by using "replacing blower fan on p3 volvo"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cluster, glove box and a few things under dash are removed but no need for whole dash which would require full console removal. The blower motor twists in and locks like a bulb socket but does a require a special tool to grasp and twist it.
The instrument cluster side has the latch tab but it comes out to the right.
There is a great video on youtube found by using "replacing blower fan on p3 volvo"
Thank you. This video is for the XC70, which I believe is a different setup from the XC60.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Based on the prior comments, sounds like the job is easier of a Volvo. I had it done at the BMW dealer - because I wanted to be sure that the finished work would not be detectable. The cost was another $500 - which I thought was good insurance. Additionally, the warranty from the dealer is usually better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here are the steps for the blower motor replacement on the XC60

LINK

My blower motor squeaks at certain fan speeds but only at lower ambient temperatures .. Now that summer is here, it's perfectly quiet at all fan speeds with AC turned on ..
Now would be the perfect time to tackle the replacement of the blower before the cold weather comes back.. But after looking at the work involved, I just can't find myself getting the motivation..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on the prior comments, sounds like the job is easier of a Volvo. I had it done at the BMW dealer - because I wanted to be sure that the finished work would not be detectable. The cost was another $500 - which I thought was good insurance. Additionally, the warranty from the dealer is usually better.
Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the steps for the blower motor replacement on the XC60

LINK

My blower motor squeaks at certain fan speeds but only at lower ambient temperatures .. Now that summer is here, it's perfectly quiet at all fan speeds with AC turned on ..
Now would be the perfect time to tackle the replacement of the blower before the cold weather comes back.. But after looking at the work involved, I just can't find myself getting the motivation..

Thanks. Yes, too much to take on. I found a local independent Volvo mechanic with a great reputation willing to do it as a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the same blower motor squeal/ squeak in my 2013. The dealer quoted me $1400 to replace the blower motor 18 months ago. Since it works fine and is only noisy during colder weather, I have just lived with it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Thank you. This video is for the XC70, which I believe is a different setup from the XC60.
That is a P3 XC70 and it is identical for this repair. All P3 platform models have the same HVAC case behind the dash. There can be differences in screw count and location for panels removed but even these are minor differences.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At about our tenth anniversary together, my 2010 blower began an occasional squeal, just to remind me of our trouble-free past. The noise might occur during temperature extremes and last only a short time as the cabin temperature moves into comfort range. The fan otherwise works fine, moves plenty of air when it needs to, and is whisper quiet 99.89% of the time. My mechanic advised overlooking this slight nuisance. What of our own parts has not changed in ten years?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Got mine changed under CPO thankfully on the XC. …….noise on winter mornings

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 XC60 with about 100k miles on it. I need to have the blower motor replaced, and I know this requires removing the dashboard. If you had this done on your XC60, what did in cost? And were you able to have the work completed by an independent Volvo mechanic? Thanks.
I just had this done on a 2010 xc60 by an independent shop. The whole dashboard everything even the steering wheel has to come out. You need the motor blower tool to remove the blower too, no doubt about that. It took a day and a half and I was charged $1,000. I gladly paid that amount just witnessing the whole mess, it’s scary looking at you interior dismantled like that. Do not get an aftermarket blower, because you don’t want to go through this again. The oem is Fomoco, FC Euro has it for $190. Also change the resistor since while you’re at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts