SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my 2003 Volvo V70 Base's turn signal indicators have been acting up. The actual turn signals on the outside work fine, but the little arrows on the dash and the clicking sound don't work most of the time. Sometimes randomly they work, and sometimes only the sound or only the lights on the arrows work and not the other. What's going on here? Did this ever happen to anyone or does anyone have any idea on how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, but what is the DIM and how do I replace or rebuild it? Also, which bulb might be shorting out and how to I replace it? Thanks again!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and BTW, sometimes my clock goes whack and flips through a few days worth of time crazily and then just stops and I have to reset it. This just happens randomly, and doesn't seem to have a relation to the turn signal indicators, I think. Just posted in case it helps in finding out what's wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't find a dim!!!

Okay, so I've been searching the forums and since I can't really afford a new DIM or afford to rebuild it, I've been looking for a used one, but I can't find one ANYWHERE! I searched eBay, all the most popular used car parts places and all my local junkyard's websites but can't find one at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me a tip on where to find one please?

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Just live with it until you are in a position to have the DIM rebuilt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Question!

Okay, I have a new question but didn't want to start a new thread. Does anyone know of a junkyard or salvage yard in Michigan (preferably near the Detroit area) that has Volvos like the S60 or V70. I needed some parts (not just the DIM) for my car and was hoping to find them but can't find a single Volvo at the yards I know about. Did anyone ever get junkyard parts for their Volvo in Michigan? If so, how?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's another bad DIM

I have a 2002 V70 XC and have had the same sort of intermittent instrument cluster craziness, and worse (all gauges die, all dash lights go black, kooky warning messages that don't check out, etc.). Checked fuses and so on. My independent Volvo shop told me I'd need to replace the DIM, at approx $1200 parts and labor. They note that there's a reliable after-market DIM, with a lifetime warranty, available that might would save me a couple hundred bucks over the OEM part.

What does it mean to rebuild a DIM? Who does this, or where? Is there anything else I should try or have looked at first?
Thank's, as always.

·
Registered
16 Posts
By the way, do you guys suppose I posted this question, about the DIM in my 2002 V70 XC, in the most appropriate place on SwedeSpeed? I'm learning my way around. Saw this thread discussing misbahurc's funky instrument cluster, and it seemed that I'd arrived someplace where people are in-the-know about my specific issue. But there may be some more general way of posing this kind of technical question. (That question being: how or where does one have a DIM rebuilt; is installing a new one a better idea, etc.?)

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Friend of mine's 03 XC is doing that.
He's just ignoring it

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Xemodex will send you a pre-programmed one for 500 in two days. just take the old one out, plug the new one in, mileage is automatically obtained from CEM, couldn't be any simpler.

I had ruined mine attempting to fix it and I couldn't be bothered trying to find one from a junk yard.

I'm a happy customer. http://www.xemodex.com

They can also rebuild your DIM for considerably less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay, the Xemodex solution looks like just what I need.

Read their DIM-removal instructions and it looks fairly straightforward. Did you find that this was the case?
Is there any advantage to buying one of their $500 units, versus using the less-expensive mail-in and remanufacture service -- beyond convenience?

Brilliant. Many thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xemodex will send you a pre-programmed one for 500 in two days. just take the old one out, plug the new one in, mileage is automatically obtained from CEM, couldn't be any simpler.

I had ruined mine attempting to fix it and I couldn't be bothered trying to find one from a junk yard.

I'm a happy customer. http://www.xemodex.com

They can also rebuild your DIM for considerably less.
Yeah, I actually ended up doing this, albeit a little differently, as my DIM kept getting worse and worse over time. Instead of ordering up a new one though, I drove all the way to their store (I live in Michigan and they were about 400 miles from me) and got it replaced. It was $350, plus not too much more on gas money. I got all the way there and back using about 1 2/3 tanks of gas. They were considerably quick, but the service wasn't the best. Like for example, when we asked if we could drive around while the man (Chris) was fixing the DIM, the front desk woman said it was perfectly fine, but when Chris got back and put the DIM in, the SRS message came up. He got a little frustrated, but after explaining, he agreed to clear the code for free. Other than this, everything went pretty smooth.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Read my post right above this one, I got my DIM rebuilt at Xemodex, and so far its been working great. They essentially took out the old board inside my DIM and replaced it with one they built. Then they programmed my mileage into it, and Presto!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Removing the DIM with the battery still connected will trigger the SRS indicator.

I noticed this with their service too when I spoke with them on the phone,
First one they sent me the mileage didnt show up at all (was blank).
I told them i disconnected the battery before removing the DIM and he said on the phone not to do that, they sent me another one and that one worked, I also did what he said left the battery connected and I had SRS light, but I have the chinese DICE and cleared it myself.

Not sure why he said not to disconnect the battery. If you dont have a DICE unit I would suggest you disconnect the battery before removing/installing DIM or you will have SRS indicator and will need to go to dealer to clear it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts