SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up. Landscape crew was blowing cuttings off the road, blew a rock which chipped the rear glass. My wife got into the car, closed the door. The differential,pressure of the door closing blew out the rear glass. Completely shattered, as if hit with a bat.
Always thought everything was safety glass, turns out to be the windshield only. Interesting that the small chip propagated through the panel.
At Volvo dealer now. Price is twice what the insurance company is willing to pay (not an 'approved' glass provider), go figure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry to about that unfortunate incident. Thanks for providing a heads up on this. My car is always in the driveway when the peeps are cleaning the front yard. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The rear hatch window is safety glass just not the same as the front windshield which is probably laminated. As you indicated the glass shattered completely which is what safety glass (tempered/heat treated) is supposed to do. It breaks into many small pieces. Not the same as non safety glass breaking into sharp shards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts