SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At 4:55, the passenger seat doesn't move away from the side impact like a Volvo with the SIPS system. And looking at the exterior side impact, it doesn't deform inward as much as on a normal Volvo. Has Volvo gotten rid of the SIPS system on the XC40?

·
Registered
332 Posts
One of the feature of the SIPS used to leverage the empty center console for seat movement. Even in SPA cars, I believe this is no longer the case given the center space is for battries now.
Since the CMA cars are designed to have batteries partially located in the floor and also in the center concole/tunner area, I am pretty sure the seat movement portion of the SIPS seat is not viable either.

SIPS system includes a whole lot more than the seat being able to move to the center. It is the whole bunch of coordinated elements of reinforced steel and boron steel component in the door structure, the floor panes as well as the door arches/roof.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the feature of the SIPS used to leverage the empty center console for seat movement. Even in SPA cars, I believe this is no longer the case given the center space is for battries now.
Since the CMA cars are designed to have batteries partially located in the floor and also in the center concole/tunner area, I am pretty sure the seat movement portion of the SIPS seat is not viable either.

SIPS system includes a whole lot more than the seat being able to move to the center. It is the whole bunch of coordinated elements of reinforced steel and boron steel component in the door structure, the floor panes as well as the door arches/roof.
I thought the battery might be the reason too. The absence of sideway seat movement made me think the whole thing was gone, but as you say, maybe not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts