SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the XC40 is my new daily and my wife still loves her 13 XC60.

My previous car was an 11 S60.

I've found that the steering is so light in the XC40, that when I do drive our XC60 from time to time I find the steering Sooo heavy now.

Anyone else feel the same way? I suppose I'm getting spoiled with the light steering now.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

I've found that the steering is so light in the XC40, that when I do drive our XC60 from time to time I find the steering Sooo heavy now.

Anyone else feel the same way? I suppose I'm getting spoiled with the light steering now.
The XC40 steering feel is very light, indeed. However, have you set yours at the heaviest setting? That is what I did with ours and, although, it is still lighter than the other Volvos it did make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Steering

Most if not all of older Volvos had heavier steering. When we had those cars we liked the heavy steering (less corrections) but when we drove other cars it really made us aware of how heavy it was. With the newer cars and lighter steering it does become way more noticeable when going between the newer and older Volvos. I do notice that I have to make many more slight corrections to steering, even with it set at the heaviest levels. In general I believe steering has become much more light accross all lines of manufactures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The steering has certainly spoiled me. I am not sure of what everyone means by "light" but I find the steering ( Dynamic mode ) very precise, like it's on rails. I also own a 2018 Subaru Forester xt (turbo) and although the braking, suspension and acceleration is similar the steering is far superior in the XC40. - Kris :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
The light steering feel was a negative for us. We are used to heavier steering with our GTIs. We turned up the steering feel as heavy as it would go on the XC40 and still feel it’s too light for our liking, but we are getting used to it after 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like the light steering, and really got spoiled with the pilot assist and auto braking, all other cars I drive I notice and miss them.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The light steering feel was a negative for us. We are used to heavier steering with our GTIs. We turned up the steering feel as heavy as it would go on the XC40 and still feel it’s too light for our liking, but we are getting used to it after 12,000 miles.
I didn't even know I could adjust the steering feel.

·
Registered
439 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts