SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done multiple searches and browsed numerous pages of threads, and have yet to find any info on replacing the starter in an R. My starter has been giving me trouble intermittently for well over a year now, and it is about time I change it. It has been sticking and occasionally requires me to tap on it while someone turns the key in order for the engine to crank.

Tasca has a starter for $247, but on ebay there is a remanufactured aftermarket starter for ~$72. Has anyone used an afterarket starter? Also, how hard is it to get to the starter to do the install?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
starters are pretty robust on these so not many problems thus not much info. I couldn't find many threads, most were not specifically starter but clutch pedal sensor, various battery issues/wiring.

For price on new vs. rebuilt. If the install/replacement is a pain in the ass I want to do it once and I'd grab oem. If it's easy or you are doing the work yourself, rebuild/remanufactured would be the way to go imho. You could go through 3+ aftermarket starters. my guess is you wouldn't have to.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Few cases on here in regard to starter failure, however several in regard to loose wiring at the starter. Make sure everything is clean, bright, and tight!

Assuming it is not loose wiring, it sounds like a sticking solenoid. You may well be able to dissassemble and clean it all, especially solenoid plunger, and brushes/commutator.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Few cases on here in regard to starter failure, however several in regard to loose wiring at the starter. Make sure everything is clean, bright, and tight!

Assuming it is not loose wiring, it sounds like a sticking solenoid. You may well be able to dissassemble and clean it all, especially solenoid plunger, and brushes/commutator.
My mothers 04 XC70 had some starter issues and it turned out to be loose wiring and just required a new slide connector to be crimped on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the starter off today and then took it apart and cleaned the brushes and polished some things inside. Hopefully, that will be a sufficient, and permanent, remedy for the situation. Thanks for the replies, guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts