SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is outgrowing his rear facing car seat; he is 4 1/2 and weighs about 37 lbs. Wondering if anyone has experience putting a child his age/size in the built-in booster. Booster recommendations also welcome if anyone has experience with a good one.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
used it for a few years. not sure what weight she was, we bought the car when she was 5. i think she was in it from the time we bought the car till about 9. she loved sitting without an obstruction in front of her view.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I currently use it for my youngest. She is 6 year old. It is very comfortable and convienent too. I highly recommended

·
Registered
262 Posts
We've used it in a pinch for our 38lb 4 year old, but only really in a pinch. The issue can be significant uncontrolled lateral movement as a result of a side impact. We know because we've been there. As we would all expect he Volvo did great protecting our 4 young children, but there was more lateral movement that was less controlled than we would have liked for our 7 year old who was in the integrated booster at the time. It works better for larger 8 - 12 year olds (depending on individual size of course). Our preferred seating for the 4 year old is the Clek Oobr, we now have both the 8 year old and the 11 year old in Diono Montereys in the 3rd row.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i use it for my 4yr old and he likes it. He uses the middle bolster seat. I like the fact that if he falls asleep I simply reach back and pull the two outside seats forward so that his head doesn't keep falling over to the side. I can pull them two seats forward while I'm driving too.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Britax makes some high backed boosters for the US market. They are expensive but you can keep your child in a 5pt harness much longer than you can in most any other seat offered here in the US. We plan to use one as our son maxes out his convertible forward facing. We had to turn him earlier than we would of liked (2yrs 7months) because his torso was too long for the shell of the Britax Boulevards we have. If he keeps growing at the rate he is, then he will be too large for the Boulevard even forward facing well before he is 4. Others have suggested buying the DINO (Sunshine) Radians as they seem to have longer shells than Britax Convertibles, but they Radians shells are shorter than the Britax harnessed boosters. (Yes I realize that legally out son could already be in a booster, and that legally they only have to face the rear until they hit 20lbs or a year. If you really think you should just do the legal minimum then why not drive a Kia Sorento, they meet all the safety requirements to be sold in the US!)

·
Registered
953 Posts
We've used it in a pinch for our 38lb 4 year old, but only really in a pinch. The issue can be significant uncontrolled lateral movement as a result of a side impact. We know because we've been there. As we would all expect he Volvo did great protecting our 4 young children, but there was more lateral movement that was less controlled than we would have liked for our 7 year old who was in the integrated booster at the time. It works better for larger 8 - 12 year olds (depending on individual size of course). Our preferred seating for the 4 year old is the Clek Oobr, we now have both the 8 year old and the 11 year old in Diono Montereys in the 3rd row.
is the width of the ober really 16 " ? (if you place it in the middle seat, can the outer ones slide back/forward to allow access to the third row )
Can you use it in the middle seat with seatbelt versus outboard only with latch points ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
is the width of the ober really 16 " ? (if you place it in the middle seat, can the outer ones slide back/forward to allow access to the third row )
Can you use it in the middle seat with seatbelt versus outboard only with latch points ?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, been a little more focused on my Mac forums lately!

The Oobr is really too wide for the middle seat. You could use it in a pinch with the seatbelt and no LATCH, but the outer seats will be hampered from providing access to the 3rd row. We may replace the Recarro Pro-ride that the 1yo is in now with the Foonf if that fits in the middle, because the Recarro doesn't either. It's close, but the armrest wings stick out far enough to impede the outboard seats' forward motion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've used the middle booster seat while transporting my friend and his son. It was going great until the little punk spilled Sprite all over the carpet....little punk.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I currently use it for my youngest. She is 6 year old. It is very comfortable and convienent too. I highly recommended
Ditto - we use it for our 7 year old. Have for a year or two. Its awesome to pop it up when he needs it, and pop it back down when he's not in the car. Defintely works well IMHO.

It was going great until the little punk spilled Sprite all over the carpet....little punk.
Spoken like a guy without kids. LOL. But again, our rule is "water only" in the cars, for just that reason. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
But again, our rule is "water only" in the cars, for just that reason. :D
That is my rule too. However, my wife often breaks the rule. She is convinced that when our next one arrives she is getting custody of the X90. I just keep reminding her that the children should be in the XC70 until such time that the XC70 becomes too small or ceases forward motion. Keep the newer car as nice as possible for a long as possible. Plus my wife has a way of taking cars out of circulation. (I expect to loose, I just make the money she gets to spend it).

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is my rule too. However, my wife often breaks the rule. She is convinced that when our next one arrives she is getting custody of the X90. I just keep reminding her that the children should be in the XC70 until such time that the XC70 becomes too small or ceases forward motion. Keep the newer car as nice as possible for a long as possible. Plus my wife has a way of taking cars out of circulation. (I expect to loose, I just make the money she gets to spend it).
I am charged with the obligation of keeping her XC90 clean and spotless. She often chastizes why I spend so much time cleaning up after her and the kids. But I think to myself that the longer I keep it spotless and nice, the longer it lasts, and the more money I save. Thus, I consider myself a very highly paid auto detailer.

Wives and kids are contrary to owning clean cars. But, they can be managed to some extent.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm suprised someone isn't complaining about the fact that volvo doesn't build a vehicle with the booster seat behind the steering wheel.

P

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm suprised someone isn't complaining about the fact that volvo doesn't build a vehicle with the booster seat behind the steering wheel.

P
Ok I'll bite. I wish that Volvo would have but anchor points in the 3rd row, and that there would have been at least two boosters in the middle row. Also there should have been a way for the driver to disable the passengers side airbag. Just in case you happen to have 6 children all under the age of 10 or so.

And if you need a booster in the drivers seat, then they should have made the pedals adjustable too. (I have a aunt who is too short to reach the pedals of most vehicles. She has to have blocks of foam glued to the pedals of any car she drives. )

The point at which I have 6 children, more than likely it will be through foster/ adoption, I will be looking at a MB product.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The point at which I have 6 children, more than likely it will be through foster/ adoption, I will be looking at a MB product.

You know P.'s position already. "XC90 is far superior to that P.O.S. Mercedes Benz GL...."

·
Registered
668 Posts
You know P.'s position already. "XC90 is far superior to that P.O.S. Mercedes Benz GL...."
Last I checked the GL only sat 7. I was thinking a little larger than the GL slightly smaller than a school bus.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Last I checked the GL only sat 7. I was thinking a little larger than the GL slightly smaller than a school bus.
The GL is awfully damn nice. After I drove a GL550, I couldnt bring myself to get GL450. At the same time, I couldnt justify writing that check either.

Is there anything that seats more than 7 that doesnt end in the word VAN or BUS?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Is there anything that seats more than 7 that doesn't end in the word VAN or BUS?
Sprinter....

We were looking at the GL350 and my wife really liked it. Needless to say the XC90 was more attractive to me. I have to hand it to the salesmen he showed her the 350 first and then proceeded to show her the XC90 and inform her of all the things the XC90 did not have that the 350 did. It took some effort on my behalf to convince her that more options= more things to break.

·
Registered
262 Posts
DON'T DO IT BRO! Been there (with 4 children) and it's a painful experience on both wallet and peace of mind. The wife will love it at first, but quickly become irritated by, and then just plain frightened by the breakdowns and being left randomly stranded in inconvenient locations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts