SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this car used from an Audi dealership and have had the car 5 months. When i bought the car i did not notice this on the headlamp but it has gotten worse. I have a 2009 V50 and it is still under warranty. I took it to my local Volvo dealership and they said that they have never seen it before and that their headlamps dont do that. I live in Orange County California and this is the dealership i went to Volvo of Orange County.

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Highly alkaline chemicals ie. sodium hydroxide, will etch/corrode glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I try another dealership to see if they will cover it on warranty? Or should i just go and buy a new one on ebay? I wish it was glass.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It'll do it to plastic too, I doubt a dealer will cover that, it looks like corrosive damage from something. Who knows, I'm only guessing.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Being just the glass, and if you don't mind doing some work yourself, you could probably try to find some salvaged head lamps and swap the glass...

·
Super Moderator
15,186 Posts
Being just the glass, and if you don't mind doing some work yourself, you could probably try to find some salvaged head lamps and swap the glass...
For the deals you can find on e-bay, if you really really search, it'll honestly be easier just to get a new headlight. The only reason I would simply change the lens would be if the OP has xenon lights and doesn't want to rewire everything.

As far as the problem, a chemical I was using to de-fog my lenses (on the inside :eek:) caused a very similar problem. It took wet sanding with a very fine grit paper, polish, and a lot of elbow grease to get it out, but my headlights are clean now.

Considering how big your effected area is though, I would go with a new/used headlight off e-bay

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Is it only the driver side with the issue? I've got a passenger side one that is missing internals but would be good for the plastic lens. Just hit me up with a PM or something if you are interested in it.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
If you had a polisher, you might be able to work it out...

·
Super Moderator
15,186 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
is it liked melted in or try goo gone, thats all my help lol

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hit it with some sand paper and work down to a fine grit!!! Finish it off with some plast-x or blue magic headlight cleaner. If the headlight is junk, might as well attempt to revive it instead of just chucking it. I have had super good luck with this process on yellowed and pitted lights, I think it might work for you too!

The Saab's lights were glass :(

·
Super Moderator
15,186 Posts
The Saab's headlights were the worst when it came to haze and fog...

If you're willing to buy a new headlight, like said above, you might as well try to restore them first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts