SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was hoping my old S80 would last me long enough that it would be the last internal combustion powered vehicle I buy, but its getting to the point where maintenance is costing me more than new car payments, so I guess it is time for it to go.

I have been looking at S90's to replace it, and I have found a very nice low milage certified T6 Momentum in a lovely Magic Blue I am considering buying.

Only problem? I don't really like the interior. The "blonde" color scheme is much less appealing to me than a dark colored leather, (I also worry it will look beaten up over time), and I absolutely hate the metal (brushed aluminum?) trim pieces.

The leather color I can't do much about, but I have seen full car replacement trim kits that have all of the center console, dash and door trim pieces on them.

Has anyone ever tried replacing these? Is it doable without having to do major surgery (like pulling out the entire dash?)

If I can get rid of that awful brushed aluminum, I may just buy the car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Haven't replaced any trim but it seems like wrapping might be an easy alternative. Ebay has some trim pieces that go over the existing trim, you might want to do a little search there.

·
Administrator
55,934 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't replaced any trim but it seems like wrapping might be an easy alternative. Ebay has some trim pieces that go over the existing trim, you might want to do a little search there.
If you want good quality vinyl for wrapping, check out: https://www.metrorestyling.com

That's where I get my vinyl wrap material.

I appreciate your recommendations, but I am not really interested in wrapping. I prefer original Volvo trim pieces.

I did some googling and found this pdf which has instructions for installing the dash trim pieces, which seems to be a straight forward prying and replacing operation.

I have not been able to find any instructions for the door panels or the center console sliding parts.

I wish I had access to the dealer software with all of their work instructions...

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I would keep looking until you find one with an interior you also like.

The maintenance costs can't possibly be *that* high that it's worth spending tens of thousands on a new car.

Even CPO, the new car will likely depreciate substantially in the first year and have a true cost much higher than keeping the S80.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You can buy those dash and door trim pieces for a pretty reasonable price directly from Volvo and they appear to be pretty straightforward to swap out.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would keep looking until you find one with an interior you also like.

The maintenance costs can't possibly be *that* high that it's worth spending tens of thousands on a new car.

Even CPO, the new car will likely depreciate substantially in the first year and have a true cost much higher than keeping the S80.
I've been through a rough patch of maintenance and repairs.

Most recently I had to replace a brake line, do the trailing arm bushings and replace the differential seals.

It's just one thing after another and it's adding up. I've been keeping track. Over the last two years I have averaged over $500 per month in maintenance and repairs. That's a reasonable chunk of a new (to me) car payment.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like the door trim also pry's out. The wood and chrome strip are one piece. Found this on Ebay with photos of the trim removed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-19-Volvo-S90-V90-Genuine-WOOD-Trim-Set-R-Design-Polestar/254297281683?hash=item3b354c9493:g:0uUAAOSwtjBdK7St
Yeah, I saw those too. (looks like he is asking a bit much for used trim pieces, but the images are helpful)

The door panels appear to have some big latch/clip parts on them that may make it a tiny bit more involved, but im sure it can be done.

The center console parts seem more tricky. Lots of little screw holes in the outside of the bracket, but I don't know how to access the space where those screws would go. There are panels covering that space.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can buy those dash and door trim pieces for a pretty reasonable price directly from Volvo and they appear to be pretty straightforward to swap out.
Yeah, I'm getting confused about which part numbers are which though. The Volvo parts catalog is a little bit overwhelming.

I wish there where a list of which part numbers I need for a complete wood set somewhere.

Maybe I'll just go into the dealer and point to all the parts I want, but in wood, and ask them to find them for me. :p

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
$500 a month is $6,000 / year in repairs. That's absurd. Nevermind. Get rid of it as fast as you can.

You can practically lease a brand new S90 for a little more.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, Dash pieces look like they pry out with a plastic trim tool.

Door panels appear to be the same.

Now if I could only figure out how to access the screw holes on the center console...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, I did the door and dash trim pieces yesterday.

It was much easier than I expected. They all just popped off with a plastic trim tool

IMHO, the wood trim is MUCH nicer than that awful aluminum it came with.

I made an interesting discovery too.

The trim panels I bought (from a totaled Euro spec R-Design model, unknown year) came with little LED lights and fiber optics in them. These were not in the ones that came stock in my car.

I'm guessing these are supposed to light up the car interior when it is dark and you unlock the car. My current dome lights do an adequate job of that, but I guess having more light can't hurt. I don't know why mine didn't have them. Maybe it's because mine is a Momentum, and this is an Inscription feature? Or maybe they were added in later production runs?

When I popped the original trim panels off, I found a connector that fit into the new trim panels behind them in a holding slot: Cool, I thought. Maybe this can be retrofitted?

If you push this connector in, you can then grab the wire and pull it out through the hole on the side, and it plugs into the trim piece:

So I pulled the cables out and connected them on all of the trim pieces, but sadly they don't seem to light up, so either the other ends of those wires aren't connected to anything in my car, or it requires some sort of VIDA configuration setting to enable them.

Well, it was worth a try. I'm not too disappointed. I didn't even know they were there, I was just doing this for the wood. :p It's not a priority for me, but I may continue looking into what it might take to enable them. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

I still have the center console slider and change compartment lids to do.

I understand these are MUCH more difficult. Disassembling the center console on this car is apparently a very challenging task, at least according to everyone I have asked. I'm not stranger to pulling out dashboards and center consoles in my previous cars, but I have been assured this is a much different task, requiring removing a seat, and and resetting software with VIDA. I may just ask my dealer for a quite to install those parts.

We will see.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Got any post wrap pics??

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got any post wrap pics??
Me? I didn't do any wraps.

I just replaced the factory aluminum trim pieces with the factory wood pieces.

The first pic in my last post is my "after" pic.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Me? I didn't do any wraps.

I just replaced the factory aluminum trim pieces with the factory wood pieces.

The first pic in my last post is my "after" pic.
I just realized that, it does look nice!

The time illuminate in the evening and, normally, can be controlled under my car - interior lights menus. As you mentioned, since your car didn't come with this type of trim you might have to code it in.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice work!

Yes, there are LED strips sort of everywhere on cars fitted with the "high-level illumination" package. There are additional settings within the menu to control them, so I'm sure it's a feature that would need to be switched on by VIDA, if that's even possible.

It would have added lighting under all of those panels, as you've discovered, plus in all the door pockets, plus the door sills, plus 3 multi-color LEDs (one in the center dome light, and one each in the rear passenger dome lights) that you can select the color and intensity from the interior lighting menu.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Looks good! I also hate the aluminum and I'm glad it was as easy as it was! Curious if there will be any way to enable the LED lights.

So the dash piece is also as easy to remove? I've been thinking about buying an extra piece somewhere and trying to do some sort of artistic etching to customize my car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice work!

Yes, there are LED strips sort of everywhere on cars fitted with the "high-level illumination" package. There are additional settings within the menu to control them, so I'm sure it's a feature that would need to be switched on by VIDA, if that's even possible.

It would have added lighting under all of those panels, as you've discovered, plus in all the door pockets, plus the door sills, plus 3 multi-color LEDs (one in the center dome light, and one each in the rear passenger dome lights) that you can select the color and intensity from the interior lighting menu.

Looks good! I also hate the aluminum and I'm glad it was as easy as it was! Curious if there will be any way to enable the LED lights.
I'd imagine if it weren't possible, they would have saved themselves the trouble and expense of routing the harnesses to the doors. Judging by what nbvolks said above though, it sounds like there are many more components to it than just the door panel trim pieces. I wonder if you need all of them for it to work properly.

So the dash piece is also as easy to remove? I've been thinking about buying an extra piece somewhere and trying to do some sort of artistic etching to customize my car.
Yeah, they pop right out. The little dash pieces on either side of the steering wheel actually came out with my fingernails. For the big one and the doors I used a plastic panel removing tool. I'd recommend against using anything made of metal, or you might damage things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did this operation. The aim was the change the sliding cup holder covers to chrome.

If the center console removed from the car, getting at the tiny screws from under upwards will be simplified. Otherwise like for me I had do this work inplace with only using the fingertips, no eyes.

So if you have the center console out it will be so much easier removing all the 15 or more tiny screws.

To get the top off you need
1 I had to remove the leather armrest buy vedjing open the mounting cover to get to the 4 screws.

2 Remove the rear side panels which are secured with a front and rear screw. To get access to the rear screw, remove the 12v panel to access the screw.

3 leather pices first unscrew about 6 screw from under upwards on the left side, 1 at the front from above, 1 on the right from under upwards.

4 now unscrew about 7 more screws holding the plastic frame from under upwards on the sides and at the rear I have the 4 zone climat control, poped the vents, then I could access the 3 screws. After this the plastic frame could be removed.

5 now the black plastic piano covering the knob also had screws, visable from above. They I removed but found it not releasing. Started to add force to pop up the piano cover, saw it was releaseing but changed course. Since I found it was enough with the plastic frame removal to swap the sliding covers.

Now knowing the screws and bolts placment the only catch i how to decouple the gear shifter cable. Otherwise the center is held by 4 bolts and 2 tiny screws.

This operation would have been easier if I could have de mounted the center console but I managed without dusconnecting the gear box cable.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts