SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully recovered their sagging door panel inserts? I pulled a rear door panel out of my '98 V70 today and was able to separate the insert from the main panel. I took it to my upholstery guy and he said it would be nearly impossible to recover it with one piece of vinyl as no matter how much you stretch it to fit the contours, it's going to want to pull away with time and the glue joint will fail. (Which is exactly what happens to the factory covers.)

I got to thinking that perhaps a multi-piece, stitched cover for the insert might work, and I'll ask him about that tomorrow. I don't know if it will be cost-effective, though.

Has anyone got any tips for removing the foam from the backing board?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: Has anyone recovered their door panel inserts? (volvotool)

Quote, originally posted by volvotool »
Has anyone successfully recovered their sagging door panel inserts? I pulled a rear door panel out of my '98 V70 today and was able to separate the insert from the main panel. I took it to my upholstery guy and he said it would be nearly impossible to recover it with one piece of vinyl as no matter how much you stretch it to fit the contours, it's going to want to pull away with time and the glue joint will fail. (Which is exactly what happens to the factory covers.)

I got to thinking that perhaps a multi-piece, stitched cover for the insert might work, and I'll ask him about that tomorrow. I don't know if it will be cost-effective, though.

Has anyone got any tips for removing the foam from the backing board?

ever seen R door panels?

they have 2 runs of stitches going across the length of the panel. works fine, with no bubbling.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Just use a matching or contrasting cloth or berber material.
With some imagination (and taste) one could come up with a very pretty interior

·
Registered
14,351 Posts

One of my projects this year is to see if I can find a contrasting ultra-suede or similar material to see if I can recover one of the panels myself. I was thinking that I would just remove the vinyl and use a spray glue or similar adhesive.

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Re: Has anyone recovered their door panel inserts? (Wayne T5)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne T5 »
One of my projects this year is to see if I can find a contrasting ultra-suede or similar material to see if I can recover one of the panels myself. I was thinking that I would just remove the vinyl and use a spray glue or similar adhesive.

I was thinking along the same lines. - something to add a touch of tan & suede to my graphite R door panels to sync with the rest of my interior.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Has anyone recovered their door panel inserts? (t5p0wer)

Quote, originally posted by t5p0wer »

ever seen R door panels?

Check my signature.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah, that was my thought after I saw some ultra-suede samples at my guy's shop, but he claims the contours make it impossible to glue a single piece of material and have it stay.

And besides, you still have to remove the remaining foam backing from the original material.....anyone...?

This is what's left after the vinyl is removed:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

This is what's left after the vinyl is removed:

not bad. keep it this way

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I can recover one of the panels myself. I was thinking that I would just remove the vinyl and use a spray glue or similar adhesive.

Nope. The vinyl has SHRUNK and it won't work

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Has anyone recovered their door panel inserts? (JRL)

No one's tried fixing their door panels?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Posted to the same question on V.S. I tried to get a shop to do mine- gave them a sample from the junk yard to recover but wasn't crazy about their quality of work- have not pursued it since do to other projects.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

I was thinking about it but I went different road.
For my car I bought a set panels off "R". On my son's car only one panel was bad, so I bought a panel off eBay, less than $50 shipped.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Thanks for the reply on V.S., MadeInJapan, especially the link.

I'm going to try the same thing the guy in Brazil did. My upholstery guy said he prefers sewing to gluing, and he does lots of motorcycle seats, so he's going to try sewing in a piece of material right over the puckered panel. I'm thinking I might try a piece of ultra suede to break up the monotony of my all-grey interior.

I'll post back with pics and prices when I've got it done. Since Erie Volvo wants about $500 for a set of four grey panels, I figure I've got some room to work under that figure.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Please do post back...if the guy does a good job, see if he wants to take orders to do more- I would be interested in shipping mine to him if the freight costs weren't so high (one of the things that stopped me from finding a service and offering it to others last year).

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

No one's tried fixing their door panels?
I said what needs to be done.
I did one set a couple of years ago in a brownish berber, looked great

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

You may have told me before, but where did you have it done and how much did it run?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Has anyone recovered their door panel inserts? (1999_V70)

West Chester, MY price $300 (I supplied the material)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

West Chester, MY price $300 (I supplied the material)

That's right. You did tell me. Seems a little pricey, but I am one frugal (cheap) SOB.

·
Registered
14,351 Posts

When you say berber I am thinking of a carpeting like material. Is that what you had done?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.